Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally bought new RockShox XC30 to replace my old JudySL long travel. Question is why is new fork 2 inches longer than old? Is this going to be a problem for 'a to c' ratio, or is it just longer travel?

I ordered new XC30 from amazon, so not much information, plus no much in owners manual or RS website about set up.

Please provide any information that might be helpful on how to set-up, and if i have the wrong fork. Any links to utube or other sites would also be helpful.

My bike is Giant ATX, 26 inch wheel, v-brakes. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sorry to state the obvious, but are they 2" longer because they're a 2" longer travel fork? How much travel does the Judy have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the travel on old Judy SL long travel (late 1990's) is 88mm vs 100mm for XC30. But when I measure exposed metal part (travel) and where rubber cover is on Judy, they appear the same.

Even if travel is different by 12mm, is that an acceptable difference without affecting geometry of frame? Are there adjustments that should be made to rebound and damping for this type of coil spring? All I have read (utube) is adjustments for air forks.

I realize these questions might seem 'obvious', but trying to learn and make sure things are done right and do not have extra $ to take to bike shop. Please provide more comments.

Thanks, old school judy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts