Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people.

A few months ago I had a problem with my '07 dual air Pike, which involved a pressure loss and lowering the fork to about 60mm of travel.
Its been serviced now, and apparently it came alright. However I'm a bit afraid that there's still something wrong - sometimes it displays all the travel, other times it doesn't, and is normaly about 5mm short.

Is this normal? I'm running about 120psi on the positive and 80 on the negative, weighting about 70kg with my gear on.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well Duh :skep: You're running 20% more pressure in the NEG chamber than the POS, it's a wonder you haven't lost more travel :rolleyes: Why, oh why would you run your fork this way. Set the POS pressure and then pump the NEG until you see the travel start to move the stanchions in a bit is how PUSH says to set it, me I normally go with a NEG pressure of about 60-70% of the POS and some just go with a 10 PSI difference, BUT NEVER have I heard of anyone running 40 PSI more NEG pressure. :madman:

jonypaul said:
Hey people.

A few months ago I had a problem with my '07 dual air Pike, which involved a pressure loss and lowering the fork to about 60mm of travel.
Its been serviced now, and apparently it came alright. However I'm a bit afraid that there's still something wrong - sometimes it displays all the travel, other times it doesn't, and is normaly about 5mm short.

Is this normal? I'm running about 120psi on the positive and 80 on the negative, weighting about 70kg with my gear on.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
LyNx said:
Well Duh :skep: You're running 20% more pressure in the NEG chamber than the POS, it's a wonder you haven't lost more travel :rolleyes: Why, oh why would you run your fork this way. Set the POS pressure and then pump the NEG until you see the travel start to move the stanchions in a bit is how PUSH says to set it, me I normally go with a NEG pressure of about 60-70% of the POS and some just go with a 10 PSI difference, BUT NEVER have I heard of anyone running 40 PSI more NEG pressure. :madman:
While in theory you are correct, running more Negative pressure than Positive will cause a loss of travel, I fail to see how 120 PSI Positive, 80 PSI Negative translates to 20% more Negative, Duh!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Actually you're right, I was being conservative, when I actually do the calculations that's 50% more pressure in the NEG than in the POS chamber :eekster: He's lucky he has much travel at all :skep:

cbrossman said:
While in theory you are correct, running more Negative pressure than Positive will cause a loss of travel, I fail to see how 120 PSI Positive, 80 PSI Negative translates to 20% more Negative, Duh!

686 Posts
LyNx said:
Actually you're right, I was being conservative, when I actually do the calculations that's 50% more pressure in the NEG than in the POS chamber :eekster: He's lucky he has much travel at all :skep:
(read it again! he has more pressure in the positive!)
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'm sure an admin changed that :skep: :eek: Was I still that asleep when I read that :madman: In that case :confused: Not sure what the heck is going on, but the RS stuff is easy to service - maybe do a service and makes ure the O-rings are properly lubed and oil levels are right.
(read it again! he has more pressure in the positive!)
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL. Bit sleepy, were you?

A friend of mine said that it's a normal thing, and his Lyrik has the same issue... but I still don't get it. Maybe it's to big of a difference?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:D LMAO :D Yup, guess so :skep: Not sure if you're asking if the PSI difference is too much, if that's what you're asking, then NO. I run about 100-110 POS and 65-80 NEG.

jonypaul said:
LOL. Bit sleepy, were you?

A friend of mine said that it's a normal thing, and his Lyrik has the same issue... but I still don't get it. Maybe it's to big of a difference?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts