Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used 08 Totem Solo air off of Fleabay. I mounted it up went for a spin around the block as I tuned the settings. I noticed after about 10 minutes of pumping the rock through average size rocks that there was a good bit of oil on the stanchions. Coming from the 36 I'm used to seeing some oil on the stanchions after a good ride but this seems extensive. The seals themselves look pretty new but they look a hair loose. I also noticed some pretty signficant stiction compared to my Fox Float 36 which feels buttery in comparison. Are my seals toast? Is this much stiction normal for the Totem Air forks?

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
From what I've read, from experience, the seals on RS forks aren't the best. I would suggest dropping in a set of Enduro Seals. I had the Enduros on my Boxxer and never had any issues, whereas the stock seals weeped all the time.

If it makes you feel better my Totem seals weep and I'm planning to upgrade at my next maintenance interval.

I've also heard that the Totems take a while to break in, I say give it more time it should get better.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RED5 said:
From what I've read, from experience, the seals on RS forks aren't the best. I would suggest dropping in a set of Enduro Seals. I had the Enduros on my Boxxer and never had any issues, whereas the stock seals weeped all the time.

If it makes you feel better my Totem seals weep and I'm planning to upgrade at my next maintenance interval.

I've also heard that the Totems take a while to break in, I say give it more time it should get better.
Yeah, I just ordered a set. It's weird the seals look brand new but they almost look like they are the wrong size as they don't seem to be tight enough around the stanchions. They look very loose.

I took the fork out for a real ride and while riding the fork felt great. The stiction only happens in the parking lot test.

I'm thinking of re-doing the damper while I'm in there. I've downloaded the instructions from SRAM. Anyone ever done this before? Any advice/comments?

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
woodyak said:
Yeah, I just ordered a set. It's weird the seals look brand new but they almost look like they are the wrong size as they don't seem to be tight enough around the stanchions. They look very loose.

I took the fork out for a real ride and while riding the fork felt great. The stiction only happens in the parking lot test.

I'm thinking of re-doing the damper while I'm in there. I've downloaded the instructions from SRAM. Anyone ever done this before? Any advice/comments?
Not sure what you mean?? If your talking about rebuilding the fork - changing oil, etc. Then yeah it's all pretty straight forward, simple, that's the beauty of RS forks. Work superb and superb for working on. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.