Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used haro escape, and it came with a rock shox tora 302.

its too soft, I am able to bottom it out on flat ground.

so I called my LBS and they gave me a quote for a new spring

they said $40 for the part
and $20 for labor

is this how much it should cost.

Also,
I don't know much about bikes
so any help is appreciated

·
Registered
339 Posts
Labor should be free, you can easily do it yourself. Just remove the left top cap on the shock and replace the spring. SRAM has manuals to download if you don't have yours.

·
Registered
339 Posts
tomsmoto said:
bike shops dont stay in business doing things for free.

40 + 20 is very reasonable.
While I agree with you about LBS, I support mine very well, we are talking about a job that can be done in 2 minutes. It isn't worth the gas to go to your LBS for a spring replacement IMO. The more you can learn to do for yourself the better. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stretch169 said:
While I agree with you about LBS, I support mine very well, we are talking about a job that can be done in 2 minutes. It isn't worth the gas to go to your LBS for a spring replacement IMO. The more you can learn to do for yourself the better. Just trying to help.
I looked at diagrams and my manual, and it looked like it wasn't too hard.

I will give it a try

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
its very easy, i just swapped mine out twice on friday ;) im just saying, dont expect your shop to do free work unless you spend tons of money with them.

just make sure you unscrew the top before trying to pop the bottom loose.. the spring tension keeps the bottom piece in place. remove the balls and springs too, they'll fly all over during removal!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do i have to take out the bottom part of the fork to replace the spring?

i saw this manual thing on the rock shox site, and it didn't say anything about that.

also

i weigh 195
which spring should i get

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
on the tora, you have to remove that little hex headed bolt that holds the u-turn knob on. under that theres a 24mm large retainer.. unscrew that, thats actually the top of the spring.

you dont have to remove the fork legs.. you have to unscrew the lower bolt half way and give it a wack with a hammer (per srams instructions, see the manual) to loosen the spring rod, then the spring just pops right out. grease the spring and toss it in, tighten the lower bolt, tighten the upper bolt, check/retighten the lower bolt again and put the u-turn knob back on. ride off and enjoy your non bottoming tora ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.