Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Jamis Dakota 29er came with a Rock Shox Tora. I'm happy with the fork and it serves my purposes. However, the remote handlebar-mounted lever connected to a cable that operates the lockout on the right-hand-side fork leg is annoying. Can I eliminate the remote lockout?

I like using the lockout but I'd prefer a knob on the fork leg as opposed to the remote lever. Is there a kit from Rock Shox that will let me eliminate the lever and cable but continue to use the lockout/release?

Part # would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
you gotta change out the damper for a non remote type.. if its a 318, that means you need a new moco unit. im sure theres someone who would trade you. theres a kit to change from standard to a remote, going to standard is just the normal piece, not sold as as conversion or anything.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. It is very appreciated. This site has helped me so much.

A couple of extra questions...

So if I remove the remote lock out following those instructions, I would basically use the metal cylnder that spools the cable as my lockout knob... correct? This makes sense.

However, will a twist in the opposite direction disengage the lockout?

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
If you just remove the remote thing you can ride your bike etc but you won't be able to lock it out, because if you turn the knob it will just go back to it's original position due to being sprung (by a spring inside the moco unit). If you disengage the spring (or take it out of the moco unitl all together) and then re-assemble as normal (with original knob & circlip etc) you may find that maybe it will be a bit too free to move - like nothing to stop the knob self adjusting. To solve this you would find a thin pice of rubber or oring of an appropriate size and mount it under the knob. This is what I tried to do but I think the o-ring was too thick or something, it didn't work too well for me.

If you want to keep your forks resale value just try to find someone who want's to do a swap, or buy the whole non remote mo-co unit and sell your remote one - I'm sure there's enough demand for them out there by people wanting to upgrade to remote lockouts.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alex. Thanks for the help. So if I want to just get a lock out knob I get the TurnKey. If I want a lockout knob that also gives me the added ability to adjust low speed compression, I get the MotionControl.

One more question for you. Do both pieces install basically the same? I assume I remove the existing cylinder and slide the new one in?

Thanks again for you help.

·
Registered
440 Posts
yes, same installation... the most difficult part is removing/installing a washer that keeps a knob :)

btw they are sold w/o a knob. You can buy a knob too but is it worth $20?

If you want re-use your rm knob then you need to find o-ring and put under knob - it will keep knob in a chosen position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.