Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Rockshox Tora Solo Air on my Kona King Kikapu and they are extremely soft. They were working fantastically for the first few months (bought bike used, believe it's an '07), even through Moab, but the other day I took it off the roof rack and the dust and oil seal popped off on the right side; I wasn't even riding it! I ordered enduro seals and replaced the oil and dust wiper seals on the right and the dust on the left (but not oil) and it still feels blown.

How can this be? I've never worked on shocks before, did I do something wrong? I followed the directions and they look good. Could it be something else in the fork? It holds air just find when I pump it up but its super soft. The lockout works and makes it about as hard as it used to be on full solf, but unlocked it just has no pressure.

Any ideas? Could the oil seal be blown on the other side too from taking it apart twice? (I took it apart first and tried using the old seals before I bought the new ones)

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
sounds like the air seal actually. Either way, the fork would be repairable for not too much money

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, where is the air seal and how do I repair it? It seems to hold air, just makes a weird squirty noise when I push down and is uber soft

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Start with the service guide from here. All the air spring components are inside the left stanchion. I haven't dealt with this myself (yet) but I believe a leak between the two air chambers can cause this. All the air you pumped is still inside the fork, but when you put force on the fork the air moves between chambers instead of staying in place and resisting compression

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay thanks. So which seal would be the problem? do I just need to rebuild the whole thing? Or just take apart the left side?? Sorry, I'm new to this stuff still, but learning!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright so I just pulled apart the right upper and pulled out the compression damper, cleaned it up and changed the 130cc of oil, and put it back together. It definitely made it stiffer, but still not how it should be. Just getting off of the bike I can leave it without any pressure on it and the shocks will come up about 1/4" if I pull up on them. ????

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
A couple of things. As the fork is used, it will loosen up. You should put a little fork oil on under the air cap on the soloair side, 3 ccs should do. As far as the 1/4, this used to be on the RockShox site under FAQs. I saved it because I wondered the same:

Q.SOLO AIR - If I pull up on the handlebar, I feel a slight movement in the fork. Why is
this?
A.When the fork is static at top out without any load applied, the main piston is in its open position
allowing for air flow between the Positive and Negative Air chambers and the chambers will
equalize. Upon the initial compression stroke (when a load is applied to the fork) the main piston
will move downward on its perch (to its closed position) separating the two air chambers. The
movement of the main piston from its open and topped-out position to its closed and sealed
position is very minute. Typically the movement upward of the piston on the perch is not detectable
by the rider, but in some cases can be felt as a slight movement (and a possible light knock) that
could amplify itself at the handlebar.
Does this slight movement affect the performance of my fork?
By design, a Solo Air fork that is set up correctly will not exhibit any performance loss due to the
movement of the main piston. Measurements taken in the lab of the Solo Air spring moving into its
compression from a static position indicate that the full spring rate is present from the outset of the
stroke and is not affected by the initial movement of the main piston. Proper set up allows for the
fork to sag into its travel when the rider is on the bike – in this position, the main piston is closed
and will not move again until the fork is unweighted or extended to its topped out position. With
proper sag, a rider will not perceive any main piston movement for the majority of the fork’s use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I put the 3cc's of oil under the air cap as there was none visible in there.

Okay thanks, that makes sense. But I still don't think it's right. It was MUCH harder before. I could put all my weight on it and get it to go through about 1/4 of its travel but now I can put all my weight and go about 2/3 or so of the way down. Should it be sagging about 1/4 of the way with me just sitting on it? it didn't used to go down at all just sitting.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Same experience on my end. When I first got my Tora, it was stiff, just like you described. Over the course of many rides, it loosened up quite a bit.

Did you add more air to the left leg? The fork leg air pressure chart is just a guide. I run mine at 160 - 170 PSI, but I'm around 240. 100 PSI sounds low.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really, thats interesting. It was good untill that seal blew.

I have it a little over 110 psi right now, I'm about 150 lbs so that's what it suggests. I'll try adding a bit more though. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts