Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a very proficient amateur, i've done a fair amount of shocks in my time, but never come across this.

This SD came in (as well as his Lyrik) looking quite beat up considering it's a 2021 model. Rusty bushings, rusty ifp chamber/piggyback circlip, worn body, almost glued on valve cap and sand in every crevice.

The guy complained of only 3 clicks on his rebound adjuster, and I thought maybe it's only some sand/grit in the detents since the ring was hanging off a little.

Digging further though, revealed that the pin that should be sliding in and out on the ramp is completely stuck in place. Research shows that it should just pop out, as some people wanted to clean underneath but have had it fall out with no effort. He's managed to chew us some of his detent areas too, and there was some kind of compressed stone grit inside (think how your cleat bolts fill up with stony bits) (cleaned out on the pic).

I've tried with no IFP pressure, then no oil at all, damper body off, piggyback off then finishing the service and cycling the shock to push out the needle but it really will not move, and there's not much to grab on with pliers.

What do we think has happened? Gorilla handed it too far closed and jammed it? Grit?

How to solve it? Is it ready for the bin? Anyone seen this one before?

Tire Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread Reptile Snake Jaw Scaled reptile Finger

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,988 Posts
It seems like something wrong with these?, as in I can usually get around 3-4 clicks "easy", but to get any more, I have to hold the collar really tight and apply some force. It'll move, but it doesn't move nearly as easily. Luckily the orientation of my shock makes this relatively easy when riding, but it's still an issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like something wrong with these?, as in I can usually get around 3-4 clicks "easy", but to get any more, I have to hold the collar really tight and apply some force. It'll move, but it doesn't move nearly as easily. Luckily the orientation of my shock makes this relatively easy when riding, but it's still an issue.
Same here on my personal shock, but a definite no-go here.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Super Deluxe rebound is all over the place. It appears tolerances in the needle can give some shocks 7 clicks to fully closed and others with 10 clicks can't closer the needle at all. Some of it is the setting of the needle itself (press-fit assembly), more is the last thread in piston mount position.

To get that rod out you want to remove the main shaft.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, got it :) do the only thing I didn't do yet 🥲 to be honest I didn't think it would give me access, but I'll give it a go and get back to you. Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I got the rebound needle out and as expected... sand... Cleaned it out as best I could and can make the pin fall out via gravity now, but i'm still only getting 4 clicks out of the adjuster when the pin is in.

Judging by the shape of the ramp in the adjusting ring, the pin should settle in basically flush? I'm still hanging out with 1-1.5mm outside. Popping a decapitated q-tip in reveals a load of rusty/dirty **** but i fear it's completely corroded in there as there hasn't been any improvement in 40 minutes of cleaning.

Should I find an appropriately sized drill bit and see how much more **** I can dig out? I fear there's more of this "compressed back into rock" sandy crap in there.

Writing implement Wood Office supplies Bumper Ball pen Gesture Wood Nail Thumb Finger

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another development after another hour of alcohol and poking, I managed to release the spring that should push out the pin so I think is rebound ring will actually make adjustments now, only I still can't get the pin to seat further than before. Also the 1.5mm hex grubs are stripped too.

Seems for full function, the whole top assembly should be replaced. I'm probably correct in assuming this part is shared between all lengths and R/RC3/Select/Ultimate shocks?

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An update for anybody who cares:

The upper eyelet assembly (or whatever it's called) from a dead shock online slotted in perfectly, despite coming from a 230x57.5 onto a 210x55 and from a select to a select+. All clicks on rebound, perfect function. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gas Single-lens reflex camera

1 - 9 of 9 Posts