Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MTB aficionado
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

I'm helping a friend of mine and his wife build two 06 MLs and we are stuck on which fork to get. I know most things Fox, but know very little about the new Rock Shox products. I prefer not to bias their builds and they are very interested in the Revelation. By all measures, it appears to be a well recieved fork. I could do the research, but I just don't have all that much time and where better to get friendly advice that here.

Question: The Revelation comes in both air and coil versions, right? Can someone please discuss pro's and con's between their air forks and coil forks. Not the pro's and con's of air vs. coil to be clear. Like me, they lean toward the coil end of the spectrum.

Thanks,

EndUser
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
The coil is a new 07 model, so there is little "experience" on it on the boards. The Air Rev is awesome... I was so impressed with the Air U-turn Pike I just got a Rev for my SS... but it was DOA, the motion control is not locking... luckily, since it is new..no problems about warranty :)

The RS forks are dead simple to service too.. so no problem on that sense either... your friends will be happy with it either way they go (coil or air) :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,370 Posts
Revelation 426 Dual Air

I bought a dual air for my ML and love it. It seems to be a good match to the air rear suspension. It is infinetly adjustable with positive and negative air. You can adjust it to be linear or progressive by adjusting the balance between the two air chambers. The motion control is awesome, you can lock it out completely or dial in about an inch or two of stiff travel for climbing. It is very stiff, not to mention its the lightest 32mm 5 inch travel fork out there by close to a 1/2 pound.
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
The coil Revelation should be very similar to the coil Pike that's been out for a while so it's not exactly an unknown quantity. Some have said it's too linear. The air is more adjustable (pos and neg) without any extra parts. You're not going to blow a air seal on a coil but I don't think that's much of a real problem. They are nice forks for sure.
 

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
blackagness said:
Do em right, get em a Fox. :thumbsup:
Uhmmm shouldn't you be recommending a Marzochhi........?

Fox is more user friendly the Rockshox as well...........the new Talas adjust is just too sweet.........less things to set up.......nice ride.........I have a revelation for my motolite and I like it, but I also love Fox forks for their ease and reliability(if you get a good one off the start:rolleyes: )
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
TiEndo said:
Uhmmm shouldn't you be recommending a Marzochhi........?

Fox is more user friendly the Rockshox as well...........the new Talas adjust is just too sweet.........less things to set up.......nice ride.........I have a revelation for my motolite and I like it, but I also love Fox forks for their ease and reliability(if you get a good one off the start:rolleyes: )
I would only recomend Zoke for experts like me. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Its a toss up...

I used Fox for my first 3 bikes. Really liked them - especially when I had them PUSHed. When I got my Turner Flux I took the recommendation of the Turner board guys and put a Reba Team on it and absolutely loved the performance. I felt it was a head above the Fox and this was in '05. When I got my Motolite last year I put the Revelation on her. It is just a perfect match for the ML. Responsive and infinitely adjustable. Now I don't think you'd go wrong with a '07 Fox. They are getting great reviews and I have a buddy who put one on his Santa Cruz BLT and loves it.

Nice to have choices like that.
 

·
searcher
Joined
·
874 Posts
I have an air Rev and I love its performance. Its a good fork for my type of aggressive XC riding.
Although I am dreaming about taking that step to the higher level, more skillfull, very experienced rider category where I would be able to ride a Marzocchi. Some more years of hard work, riding my a... off and I might be ready...:))
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
kovi said:
I have an air Rev and I love its performance. Its a good fork for my type of aggressive XC riding.
Although I am dreaming about taking that step to the higher level, more skillfull, very experienced rider category where I would be able to ride a Marzocchi. Some more years of hard work, riding my a... off and I might be ready...:))
I think the Rev or Fox, is better suited to the ML. For me the All Mnt 1 SL is more of an evolution, after spending a LOT of time on this bike. If I were to be buying a bike now, I'd prob go with the El-guap, but I'm more than satisfied with the ML, and it's better suited to my terrain. Even with the Zoke on her she still prob peddals better than any burly 6" bike out there, but now can keep up "even better" in the other stuff as well. :thumbsup:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
update , not DOA after all!!!

crisillo said:
The coil is a new 07 model, so there is little "experience" on it on the boards. The Air Rev is awesome... I was so impressed with the Air U-turn Pike I just got a Rev for my SS... but it was DOA, the motion control is not locking... luckily, since it is new..no problems about warranty :)

The RS forks are dead simple to service too.. so no problem on that sense either... your friends will be happy with it either way they go (coil or air) :thumbsup:
It seems that whatever was wrong with the MoCo in my Rev is working now...

I left the air out of both chambers and compressed the fork...there was a small but audible "pop" and after that the lockout works :D ... yeah...new fork for the SS here I come!! :D
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
crisillo said:
It seems that whatever was wrong with the MoCO in my Rev is working now...

I left the air out of both chamber and compressed the fork...there was a small but audible "pop" and after that the lockout works :D ... yeah...new fork for the SS here i come!! :D
mmmmmm, that's a good feeling!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
blackagness said:
mmmmmm, that's a good feeling!
It sure is! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

EDIT: But the store was great about it too... this morning I had already received a return label to send it back... the problem was they could not replace it right away because it was the last 06 model they had and it was discounted, so they could not give an 07... that would have been the distribuitor's decision.... but anyhow...seems like it won't need to go back :D
 

·
Bike to the Bone...
Joined
·
8,290 Posts
EndUser said:
All,

I'm helping a friend of mine and his wife build two 06 MLs and we are stuck on which fork to get. I know most things Fox, but know very little about the new Rock Shox products. I prefer not to bias their builds and they are very interested in the Revelation. By all measures, it appears to be a well recieved fork. I could do the research, but I just don't have all that much time and where better to get friendly advice that here.

Question: The Revelation comes in both air and coil versions, right? Can someone please discuss pro's and con's between their air forks and coil forks. Not the pro's and con's of air vs. coil to be clear. Like me, they lean toward the coil end of the spectrum.

Thanks,

EndUser
I have a Rev air, and I like it. I'm also going on the zocchi AM SL1 path (just waiting for the darn thing), but that's just because of UGI and Warp and Co. here pushing me to the dark side. I had a 06 Talas R, which was also very, very good. On the two forks I had, I prefer the Revelation, it feels better, and the motion control helps on climbs and hardpack.

If they would be considering the 07 Talas RLC, that's a very sweet soundging fork. I think that just 3 settings are a plus, and it has a tiny little bit more of travel. If it were the Talas R, I would think they should get the Rev, but that's just my opinion. Or depends on what they want to use it for.

Also, compare prices, they might be important. Also consider the Pike, it has the same travel as the Talas, and a 20mm axle that you can remove easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
craigstr said:
Try to get warranty work done on a Fox product and you wont see it for 3 months
I'll let you know 1st hand... I just sent in my RP23 (leaking around the rebound adjuster :skep: ) and they received it Friday. Not that I need it right away, but I am counting the days....

cheers,
simp
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top