Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 RS Reba RL 120mm, which I did the Charger 2 damper upgrade as well as added the Debonair seal head to. Now that I have put another 100 or so miles on the fork since then, I am starting to notice some weirdness that I thought I would ask about ~ I think its all related to the air spring though.

- Fork feels "spiky" all of a sudden. Rebound settings still make a difference, but not as much.
- Full travel is hard to achieve, and its not for lack of pressure, I am running about 85 PSI and that was getting me to my sag point - now it just seems to sag lower into the travel, but I have to really hit something and try to bottom it to get it to use all travel. I am not using any bottomless tokens.
- I tried airing it down all the way and re-filling the air spring, as the air left through the valve the fork "sucked" down to the crown, like a vacuum - I've never had a fork do this before.
- When sitting static (unweighted) but filled to my normal pressure, the fork sits at about 10% sag, if I push down on the arch and pull up on the crown it will extend to full.

So, I am guessing that the air pressure in the negative air chamber isn't equalized or balancing out? I don't know how to fix that, so I thought I would ask here before I drop the lowers again. I should have just left the solo air spring in it. :madman:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
So, I am guessing that the air pressure in the negative air chamber isn't equalized or balancing out? I don't know how to fix that, so I thought I would ask here before I drop the lowers again.
That is my guess too. You need to pull out the air piston again and make sure the negative transfer port (small dimple on the inside of the stanchion) is not clogged with grease. If too much grease is used when reassembling the air spring, the grease finds its way into that small dimple and the 2 air chambers no longer equalize.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks. After doing some more searching today with some better search terms, sounds like I need to do the zip tie trick, as well as possibly take off the air spring side cap and cycle the fork to blow out that possible gunked-up hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.