Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Rock Shox Pike Race. It's been well abused but still has some life, I hope. I'm using it for DJ.

I installed a XTRA FRIM (black) spring and its still wayyy soft. I could barely notice a difference from the medium spring. I've bottomed it out numerous times...even pumping into a jump! I only weigh 180 lbs.

I should definitely change the oil. Could that be why its so soft? What type of oil should I use and how much?

Any other thoughts?

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
are you using it with the u-turn wound all the way down? The spring rate increases when you lower it, but its still easier to bottom out when it's lowered. You could slip a helper spring in there, manitou-style.

RS calls for 5wt oil in the damper. Running something else isn't really beneficial.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I figured it out. The fork uses a handlebar attachment to control the compression and lock out, but i don't have the handle bar control. So without it I am guessing that the compression is set at the lowest setting seeing as there is no longer a cable to keep it adjusted.

It will cost $16 for the knob and $35 for another part to be able to use the non-handle compression adjustments...$51!!!!

Or I can buy a handlebar adjuster for $25 and tape it somewhere out of the way.

Any other suggestions to keep the compression setting higher? I don't care if its adjustable once I set it.

·
mmm
952 Posts
If you indeed have a spring loaded Motion control unit, the cheapest option would to run derailleur cable through that small whole held by a barrel adjuster (or anything else that will hold the spring in place).

·
Registered
307 Posts
FreeRidin' said:
Sorry, and yes, yes.

I am running it around 100mm.

And I'm positive its the xtra firm, it has a black casing over the spring.
Both my medium and my firm have black heatshrink wrapped on them - the only difference is a tiny bit of coloured paint at the top.

Timehoc is right about bodging the MC with just a cable, or another thing you can do is to use an old friction shifter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.