Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if you can use bottomless tokens on RS Pike Dual Position Air?

I am seeing different information on it. One article by singletracks showed pics of the Pike Dual Position Air (white fork) with bottomless tokens on the air side, and another by bike rumor wrote that only the Solo Air (black fork) has bottomless tokens. I am wondering if there are different versions of the Dual Position Air.

This pic clearly shows that the Dual Position Air has bottomless tokens.

IMG_9555a.jpg

Review: Rock Shox PIKE Fork | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have recently purchased the solo air tokens, drilled the centre hole out to 10.5 or 11mm and slid it onto the air shaft of my dual position fork.
So far so good. I added lots of slikoleum in case it does slide it shouldn't wear the coating off.
I have added one token and where i would normally bottom, i now have 10mm of travel left. I would estimate 3 of these tokens could fit safely on the shaft if need be.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another option if you're worried about shaft wear, is to add a dollop of grease in the air shaft. This is also more fine tunable with the added benifit of extra lube internally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to do the same soon, do you think a small cable tie beneth the tokens would be a fine way to hold them in place?? I haven't opened up my fork yet to look at the internals to see if this is a valid solution.

I just can't set the DPA up properly, need to add to much air to get it to sit up nicely without going though its travel to quick, so hope a token or two solves this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes i have considered this. I'll open mine soon and asses what has happened to the token. If it has slid to the bottom I'll add a cable tie. If not the snug fit has done its job.

Have you tried adding low speed compression to keep it up? Add enough until harshness sets in then back off 1 or 2 clicks.

im 82kg geared up. I run 95psi at 20%sag. And a token.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Merida - I do use quite allot of SLC, maybe I should play with the psi a bit more though before I go to tokens. One thing though, I used the fork in its middle rtc3 setting the other day and it gave a much better feel, much more controlled action, maybe I should just keep it in this setting!

I'm just over 84kg with kit on, running about 120 psi, gives me about 15% sag.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks Merida - I do use quite allot of SLC, maybe I should play with the psi a bit more though before I go to tokens. One thing though, I used the fork in its middle rtc3 setting the other day and it gave a much better feel, much more controlled action, maybe I should just keep it in this setting!

I'm just over 84kg with kit on, running about 120 psi, gives me about 15% sag.
how many hours on your damper? Maybe it needs a service or just bleed the air out. I noticed mine got really soft when it was due. Also check your rebound, it could be a little.slow. i really only found the token controlled bottoming but it should have a slight affect on keeping it a little higher in its stroke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how many hours on your damper? Maybe it needs a service or just bleed the air out. I noticed mine got really soft when it was due. Also check your rebound, it could be a little.slow. i really only found the token controlled bottoming but it should have a slight affect on keeping it a little higher in its stroke.
I've done say 35 hrs on the fork since new, I feel I may just be being a bit picky on how I want it to feel! I did speak with TFtuned and they said they rebuild all new pikes before sending them out as they don't come well setup from the factory, could this be true?? Thanks for your advice, I'll play some more and see how it feels, then might look at service or some home made tokens, like the look of those ncerni!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've done say 35 hrs on the fork since new, I feel I may just be being a bit picky on how I want it to feel! I did speak with TFtuned and they said they rebuild all new pikes before sending them out as they don't come well setup from the factory, could this be true?? Thanks for your advice, I'll play some more and see how it feels, then might look at service or some home made tokens, like the look of those ncerni!
when they say well setup...do they mean well bled?
I found mine new were very plush, but bottomed and travelled low in the stroke. I then went to do a lower leg service and discovered there was air in the damper. I hand bled it, as i didnt have the syringe and it was then much better. No air in the damper was detectable.
The fork then stayed higher in the stroke and was less prone to bottoming. One token stopped me bottoming altogether. It lost a lot of that soft plush fèeling, but i liked it better. It had more control and gave more feedback. So i dont know if they are bled perfectly from the factory.

in terms of being setup with correct shim stack ect, well its hard to send a fork out to the masses and have everyone like it. Im sure most forks could use a shim shuffle to get them working for you, in your environment.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts