Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sram has jumped the shark and this sport is out of control. At this rate I will be buying Walmart bikes in 5 years.First Ride: RockShox RS-1 | BIKE Magazine

I am a little bent that the magazines keep talking like this stuff is worth the insane prices that the industry keeps coming up with.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Let me get this straight. RS is going to sell an $1800+ fork that doesn't have adjustable compression damping. When I spend more money on a fork it's because I want more ways to adjust & tune it, not less. And I thought Fox's CTD garbage was bad. What's next, a $3000 fork with no adjustments at all?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Thats more expensive than my motorcycle forks for the racebike. Wow
I know. A set of OEM WP forks for my KTM (48mm diameter over 305mm travel) with so much valving and adjustments it's not even funny, run $2500.

I can't believe as well, that a component group that has HALF of the componentry of a normal system costs just as much (XX1/X01).

Prices are stupid anymore.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Well, it does come with a new hub and I am sure it is a really good one. lol
Which of course means you need to build a new wheel.

I also wonder how many people are going to have to gripe about nicked up fork sanctions before SRAM figures out why every other company in the past that has made an inverted fork had covers over them? Maybe it will be a $250 option later.

I hate to say what something is worth and griping about price seems to be a little sour grapes. However, I think they priced themselves out of the market on this. Maybe some of the uber elite riders along with the "look at what I have" riders will buy it but it is way out of my price range. It actually costs more that what I paid for either of my bikes. lol

I am sure though I will eventually see a trust fund baby with one on the trail. Probably as I am riding past him. lol

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I think we are all be shocked soon enough when gas price hit $60 per gallon because of the printing of our money. Hyperinflation is on its way people.
This has nothing to do with inflation but rather supply and demand. People are paying $1000 for a Pike. What is $800 more for some people? Nothing.

And what the hell are you talking about concerning inflation? It was less than 2% last year! Let me guess, you buy gold as well, right?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Well, it does come with a new hub and I am sure it is a really good one. lol
Which of course means you need to build a new wheel.

I also wonder how many people are going to have to gripe about nicked up fork sanctions before SRAM figures out why every other company in the past that has made an inverted fork had covers over them? Maybe it will be a $250 option later.

I hate to say what something is worth and griping about price seems to be a little sour grapes. However, I think they priced themselves out of the market on this. Maybe some of the uber elite riders along with the "look at what I have" riders will buy it but it is way out of my price range. It actually costs more that what I paid for either of my bikes. lol

I am sure though I will eventually see a trust fund baby with one on the trail. Probably as I am riding past him. lol
Everyone knows that people with money can't ride a bicycle very fast!

:/

·
Registered
938 Posts
Too bad Maverick went out of business since this is not so new in comparison :). Still it is only ten years later. Still fair enough that it is more like the oft delayed carbon maverick fork that never made it out due to them closing up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I heard Cannondale has been making an inverted fork for XC racers that is a lot lighter and already supposedly stiffer than many dual leg forks on the market. I heard it was way expensive... at about half the price of this fork, or around $1000 bucks or something... had a funny name and looked weird, but I am told it has an established ecosystem of compatible hubs already.:rolleyes:

In all seriousness ....why the hell is this new RS fork being made? Who are they trying to sell to?

Why not just bring their bad ass charger damper and token system, from the awesome Pike, to rest of the line-up and call it a day. They had Fox on the run and they went and wasted their R&D money on this?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,442 Posts
Too bad Maverick went out of business since this is not so new in comparison :). Still it is only ten years later. Still fair enough that it is more like the oft delayed carbon maverick fork that never made it out due to them closing up.
This is nothing like the maverick SC fork. There have been SC forks inverted forks, but most have been hindered by terrible design. To be sure, an inverted fork is usually heavier and less still than a comparable right side up that has the same stiffness, but carbon uppers on an inverted fork may be the game-changer, and it's harder to make a carbon structure for something like lowers that need a brake arch and pinch bolts for the axle, as carbon doesn't lend itself well to small complex structures.

It's crazy how many people in this thread are convinced their forks are obsolete. It's basically all the ones complaining, even though they are claiming otherwise, they have fallen prey to the marketing and concept.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Is there really any real advantage to an inverted fork other than that it may look cool? I might be the first person to think that the RS1 looks rather funny, but I've always thought the Maverick inverted forks looked cool though.

Isn't the Cannondale Lefty an inverted fork? What's the big fuss with the RS1? If it's price, then why not fuss over Lefty prices! I agree, RS should put guards to protect the stanchions. They look too vulnerable.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Is there really any real advantage to an inverted fork other than that it may look cool? I might be the first person to think that the RS1 looks rather funny, but I've always thought the Maverick inverted forks looked cool though.

Isn't the Cannondale Lefty an inverted fork? What's the big fuss with the RS1? If it's price, then why not fuss over Lefty prices! I agree, RS should put guards to protect the stanchions. They look too vulnerable.
The seals are constantly lubricated making for smoother suspension action with better small bump sensitivity. Better bushing placement.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Another wheel reinvented: Marzocchi RAC from 2001.

Rockshox should have called it to the RS-2.
29" only? Hasn't that ship already sailed?
If only carbon technology would had become better in 13 years.

Too bad, eh?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If only carbon technology would had become better in 13 years.

Too bad, eh?
The material isn't a problem (other than the resulting price). It's the geometry. Which results in things like 27mm axles (and proprietory hubs) to try and hold everything else in-line.

Marzocchi, Manitou and Mountain Cycle have tried the single crown inverted forks. They were all dropped after a very short time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts