Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rock Shox Monarch 3.3 compared to Fox RP23 ?

Anybody have much in the way of experience with these various shocks? One shock I am curious about is the Monarch 3.1. It has rebound and a floodgate dial, but it doesn't seem to have an OFF for the floodgate, apart from setting the dial all the way in one direction. The 3.3 has ON/OFF floodgate and 3 settings, like the RP23. The 4.2 has it all, with ON/OFF floodgate AND a dial for the floodgate settings.

Any idea if the 3.1 is ok even though it doesn't appear to have an OFF for the floodgate? How much do these shocks go for? I suspect the 3.3 is handy because it has 3 options, making selection easier than counting clicks on the fly.

When comparing these Rock Shox Monarch rear shocks, feel free to use the Fox RP23 and RP2 in your comparison, if you so desire :)

thanks,

:)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm only interested in the RP23 vs RS M 3.3.

I need to decide on which of these shocks I get to replace the RS Monarch 2.1 that comes on my bike.

The 3.3 has Off/Med/High and the RP23 has OFF/low/med/high (floodgate settings). Both shocks have preload/sag via air pressure and a rebound adjuster. That's about all I know about these shocks. Anybody out there who has experience with these shocks? I don't want to use the stock shock at all as I'd like to sell it un-used.

·
3D guy
339 Posts
I am also interested if anyone has info on Monarch versus RP23 (in my case this is for a VPP bike, I use the RP23 platform switch as basically a climb lockout currently).

Thanks.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Tiffster said:
Hi,

Ive got a RS Monarch 4.2 - what do you want to know?
I am on an 06 Enduro, and it's stroke makes weak mid stroke air shocks wallow.

I am hoping that the Monarch has a mid stroke and a good bottom out control.

Write-ups say it does not use Motion Control, but now a "parallel low/high" speed damping. If so, is the "floodgate" control more of a compression adjuster, than a platform?

TIA.

P

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
Mr.P said:
I am on an 06 Enduro, and it's stroke makes weak mid stroke air shocks wallow.

I am hoping that the Monarch has a mid stroke and a good bottom out control.

Write-ups say it does not use Motion Control, but now a "parallel low/high" speed damping. If so, is the "floodgate" control more of a compression adjuster, than a platform?

TIA.

P
The Motion Control is a low speed pedalling platform adjustment. Most air suspension suffers from a weak midstroke so having tuning options ie. low / hi speed, air volume, bottomout will help suspension control. I am currently on an RP23 and will be trying a RS 3.3 soon.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
keen said:
The Motion Control is a low speed pedalling platform adjustment. Most air suspension suffers from a weak midstroke so having tuning options ie. low / hi speed, air volume, bottomout will help suspension control. I am currently on an RP23 and will be trying a RS 3.3 soon.
My curiosity is that RS says it is NOT Motion control, but some parallel circuit thing. And if the damping adjust does control some low speed compression, we can use the LSC to reduce the weak mid-stroke.

Me = hoping. lol.

P

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
Mr.P said:
My curiosity is that RS says it is NOT Motion control, but some parallel circuit thing. And if the damping adjust does control some low speed compression, we can use the LSC to reduce the weak mid-stroke.

Me = hoping. lol.

P
I was talking to PUSH industries about the lack of air shock tuning adjustments - they suggested when you desire upmost performance you should start looking @ coil shocks.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
keen said:
I was talking to PUSH industries about the lack of air shock tuning adjustments - they suggested when you desire upmost performance you should start looking @ coil shocks.
I agree. Air is a performance compromise for the weight advantage. (if it was better at both, there would be no coil shocks).

I currently run a coil (and love it) after a bad experience with and air shock (DHXa). But I am finding myself between serious coil action (going big) and air (XC). A gravity dropper changed things as I have my legs suck up the jumps and drops now and I am less reliant on a coil's bottom out features (tho the best feature is the strong mid-stroke).

I have a heavy 5th coil with steel spring and stand to save almost 2 pounds if I go Monarch.

I dunno, anyone go coil to air and have been happy?

P

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recently repleaced my FOX RP23 with the Monarch 4.2, and so far I feel It is an improvement:p . The Monarch does have an improved midstroke, and seems to control the rear wheel motion better. I was looking for something that would match the feel of the Lyrik coil in the front and the Monarch is the closest I have found in an air shock. The flood gate on the RS is FAR superior to propedal! One of the things I did not like about the FOX was that the propedal settings affected the high speed compression. Once the floodgate opens on the monarch there is no spike as there was with the RP. Time will tell if the Monarch holds up as well as the RP has.

BTW-I am on a 6 inch travel VPP set up for those of you who like the specifics:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The damper inside the Monarch is not Motion control. Granted it's a similar setup but it has seperate low speed and high speed compression circuits a bit like the new Blackbox Motion Control found on new Sids.

As for performance i find it SPOT on. Mine is on a XC race bike so my use will differ from others but on flats and climbs i flick the lever and have the floodgate set to max so its basically locked out. There is a few mm of travel which actually helps in rear wheel traction. This is better than a complete lockout.

Then for downhills i flick the lever the other way so the shock is completely "open"

I have played around with the floodgate in the middle setting and once it blows off the shock is very progressive. Overall compression is very smooth and im yet to bottom it out once!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.