Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post here, but I am a long time rider, and a former bike shop tech (college years). I have a couple of bikes, including an older Gary Fisher KaiTai which is equipped with an old air/oil Mag 10 Rock Shox front suspension.

I am toying with the idea of rebuilding the air/oil shock, and was wondering if anyone knows of a resource I can use to guide my efforts.

Phil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That may very well be the most awesome response I could possibly expect from this thread.

I have been out of the game for quite a while, so the vendor referral is much appreciated (never heard of them)

Many thanks for the manual, and the lead to Hippie Tech- I'll pursue both.

As far as a rebuild kit- I think I'll tear down my fork using the manual, and determine the state of play- if it is real ugly, I'll box it up and ship off to Hippie Tech for a rebuild since the prices seem pretty fair, if it is just some worn o-rings maybe I can find some replacements down at the local hardware shop.

Either way- thanks for the lead.

·
More Torque
2,030 Posts
From what I remember, you don't need the seal puller to separate the main seal from the lower leg. Take off dust wiper, remove main snap ring, wrap a rag around the leg/stanction interface, and slowly pressurize the fork with a shock pump. The main seal should pop free. It would be best to wear goggles and have an extra set of hands (one person to hold the leg/rag/stanction, and one to pump it up).

-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts