Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back from a ride and noticed some oil leaking from the top of my mission control side. It made me **** my pants, since I have a huge ride scheduled for tomorrow.

Any suggestions? I have all of the tools needed and will be driving to find some fork oil today.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After looking for hours I think I need to replace a few small O-rings. I took apart the motion control and added new oil...but if things start happening again I am going after the O-rings (I didn't take it apart that far because I want to start the warranty process and make sure I don't ruin my warranty).

I also called RS to start any warranty process if needed....but I don't want to turn my fork over to my stupid LBS.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Calm down calm down, it may not be as bad as you think. If only a small amount of residue oil is coming out, it shouldnt be anything to worry about, if a large amount comes out in a short of time, then it seems as if you have one of the defective mission control carts that has bad o-rings in the centre, send it to SRAM and they should replace it for free.

There are actually no o-rings underneath the adjusment knobs, but there is one on the top cap, try replacing that, they can sometimes get pinch during assembly and leak

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nick_M2R said:
Calm down calm down, it may not be as bad as you think. If only a small amount of residue oil is coming out, it shouldnt be anything to worry about, if a large amount comes out in a short of time, then it seems as if you have one of the defective mission control carts that has bad o-rings in the centre, send it to SRAM and they should replace it for free.

There are actually no o-rings underneath the adjusment knobs, but there is one on the top cap, try replacing that, they can sometimes get pinch during assembly and leak
It was probably about 5-10 cc's of oil. Enough to gunk up the entire top cap and start running down the back of the fork. Enough to worry about for sure.

The O-ring on the top cap looks good, and I think things were leaking from the compression knobs not the top cap itself.

Hopefully SRAM is reasonable and gets the replacement out quickly. I purchased it new from an ebay bike shop, so I hope that doesn't bite me in the ass in terms of warranty. I will not mention that part until asked.

Does anyone know if the defective mission controls just had a problem with the O-rings and eventual leakage? If so I don't mind replacing the O-rings myself. If there is more to it than that, I will just send the whole shebang to RS.

Such an expensive fork to see oil spewing from!

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
I have a theory that excess oil in the mission control cartridge is one factor on the widspread occurrence of this issue. I myself add two cartridges failing exactly like that. One of them lasted for 150 miles, the second (new fork actually) lasted a whooping 3 miles. Unfortunately, at the time I hadn't formulated my theory, so I never got to check it out.

But later on, the damper of my current Lyrik was serviced and overfilled with oil, meaning that the fork hydrolocked some 15mm before the actual bottom out. I had the thing fixed but I believe that it was on a fast track to blow again.

So, whatever you do (DIY or pay a third party), check if the fork can achieve full travel without the spring/air. If not, get the oil levels sorted out ASAP.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could have been that it was slightly overfilled and blew, but I never had any problems achieving full travel at any time during this process. It blew after about 150miles like your first did.

I did an oil change and added the 112cc's of 5wt oil. I am again getting full travel. I will just continually monitor to see if the leak happens again while I try to get up with RS about warranty info. I am hoping they will just send me a new damper and I will swap it out while I ride my leaky one, but I am not getting my hopes up too high.

If they can't help me (or are going to make me give my fork to my LBS) I will probably just try taking the damper fully apart and swapping out some new slightly more tight fitting O-rings. I think that fix has helped most people and seems relatively strait forward. I will also be able to do it better than my LBS (I asked the mechanic at the LBS if he had serviced any RS Lyriks...he looked confused and then said something about that being their light weight XC fork...I am sure he is a roadie ;) ).

I have heard great things and terrible things from RS customer service. I hope they pleasantly surprise me. I still love this fork and am not turned off by RS at all....but if they either A) blow me off or B) The O-ring fix doesn't work after they blow me off, I may be changing my mind.

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
Rock Shox's usual procedure is to replace the whole cartridge. This is a sign that either the O-ring in question is difficult to install or that the cartridge is defective and eats O-rings.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
amrgb said:
Rock Shox's usual procedure is to replace the whole cartridge. This is a sign that either the O-ring in question is difficult to install or that the cartridge is defective and heats O-rings.
I am hoping it is the O-ring is difficult to install and not the defective cart part. I have read several reports of people replacing the O-ring and things being perfect since that point.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
y0bailey: keep me updated, got the same problem on my Revelation. RS wants it to go through LBS but I don't. If the o-rings work let me know. LBS quoted a four to six week turn around time. They can't just let me ride until a new "dampeninger" comes in.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stumblemumble said:
y0bailey: keep me updated, got the same problem on my Revelation. RS wants it to go through LBS but I don't. If the o-rings work let me know. LBS quoted a four to six week turn around time. They can't just let me ride until a new "dampeninger" comes in.
Same thing for me. They want me to send to LBS. I don't have 3-4 weeks of non-riding...I will go insane.

I am going to do the O-ring fix tomorrow and ride the **** out of it over the weekend....if any more oil spews then I will turn it over to the LBS and have RS take care of it. I am really hoping it is just an O-ring issue...and I suspect it is. The damper still works perfectly even with some oil leak, and the oil just barely leaks out. It hasn't started re-leaking since I changed the oil and inspecting things, so maybe it was just originally over-filled. Basically I am just trying to convince myself the O-rings will do the trick and life will be happy.

I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks like you got it figured out but, FYI, I was able to replace that larger o-ring in your bag there without taking the damper completely apart. Low speed small rod comes out easy to replace that small one. Then I replaced that larger one in your bag (on the blue high speed shaft) from the top by sliding the retainer rings (and removing the dentate balls underneath) down the shaft, then turning the blue high speed shaft out far enought and then compressing the spring by hand a little so that that O-ring becomes accessble on top of the top cap. Faster than taking the whole thing apart.

Those two o-rings don't come in the compression damper rebuild kit and they should. I've got 2 months of riding on my hardware store o-rings and all is still good.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phil_S said:
Looks like you got it figured out but, FYI, I was able to replace that larger o-ring in your bag there without taking the damper completely apart. Low speed small rod comes out easy to replace that small one. Then I replaced that larger one in your bag (on the blue high speed shaft) from the top by sliding the retainer rings (and removing the dentate balls underneath) down the shaft, then turning the blue high speed shaft out far enought and then compressing the spring by hand a little so that that O-ring becomes accessble on top of the top cap. Faster than taking the whole thing apart.

Those two o-rings don't come in the compression damper rebuild kit and they should. I've got 2 months of riding on my hardware store o-rings and all is still good.
Are you from the states and did you just get your O-rings at a large chain store (Lowes or Home Depot)? What did you end up buying and where did you find it? I was planning on just bringing the rings to the store with me, but any tips on exactly where you found em would be helpful

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
I've had my Totem since 2007, it came stock on my '07 Demo 7. It leaked a bit under the low speed compression knob after few months of riding. I replaced the o-rings myself at that time and it has been flawless ever since. I did do one more modification though and that was the removal of the floodgate. That mod dramatically increases oil flow and it seems to fix the problem of blowing the MiCo dampers as the internal pressures are decreased. Also, it eats up small bumps much more effectively. I did the same modification as soon as I got my '08 Lyric and it has been flawless as well.

For the o-rings, you can scour your local hardware store or if you have a few forks like me (collection is 5 at the moment) buy a bulk o-ring kit off the net.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
My Lyrik also leaks from that area. It was fine until I serviced it and changed the oil.
I originally did not seat a snap ring all the way, but even after fixing that it still leaks oil, although not nearly as much. I've also noticed it only leaks after I've been riding with the MiCo on, or if I lay the bike down for a while. I'll have to look for those rings next time I change the oil.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up calling RS customer service and they sent my LBS a new damper. I picked up the damper, took out the "leaky" one (which I fixed anyways), and put in the new one. They didn't make me bring the bike to the shop, so I had zero downtime (besides the time it took to replace the O-rings). Overall it was a pleasant experience.

The new damper is slightly different however.

That metal clip is now a thick rubber O-ring. The bag was dated with a mission control damper built in March of 2009. There is no longer a nice "click" to the high speed compression damper since that is just an O-ring instead of a metal clip. The low still has the same little metal clamp and "click" feeling. Weird. I didn't notice any other significant changes when comparing them side by side. I wonder if people were complaining about how hard it was to turn the high speed damper. Now it moves with less effort.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Had the same problem on my fork after some DH stuff. Leaking oil, but stopped after a while. Just dropped off at suspension experts and they've got a new mission control (warranty) on the way.

good to see mcmaster getting a nod, love them for this kind of stuff, although viton is probably overkill for the temps in the fork.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.