Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a new Fox Vanilla fork (and love it), to replace my Dart 3 fork from 2007. I'm planning on putting together a cheaper mountain bike for my younger brother using the Dart 3 as the fork. It's still in pretty good condition and hasn't been abused, but I'd like to put some new seals on it and such. I believe they are 28mm. Does anyone know where I can get these? I checked price-point, jenson, and so on, but I'm not finding any listed as compatible with Darts?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I believe those 28mm RockShox seal kits that list the old SID/Judy/Pilot are also compatible with the Dart. I would call either Rockshox or a bike shop to confirm

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alrighty, I'll take a look. Anyhow, I have one more question for you guys:

Do you have any idea how to take off the Darts lowers? I checked the technical manual on srams website, and it doesn't really explain how to take the darts off (more a general overview). I got all of the oil out, aswell as the spring, but I can't get the top cap of the side with the lockout off. It either seems to be stuck, or I'm not doing it right. I called my LBS, and they had no idea how to do it, and I'll try calling RockShox tomorrow, but do you guys have any clue?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
arkon11 said:
Do you guys have any personal experience removing dart3 lowers? I think mine might be stuck?
Remove lower bolts, if the lowers don't come off...put the bolts back in just a little bit and tap them with a mallet until the through shafts unseat.

:thumbsup:

PS-oil will come out so put a pan under the fork

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done all of that, I've gotten all of the oil out, made sure to put the bolts in and tap them, but the lowers still won't come off. I took out the top pre-load adjuster on the right side, but the lockout thing is still on the other side. Do I have to remove this? I've already gotten the springs out and such, I just can't remove the lowers from the upper thing.

I've already put quite a bit of force on the lowers by trying to pull them out. I don't want to break anything inside the fork.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
btw, checked out your blog, and yeah I agree.... steel rocks! My buddy has an old Marin steel frame that is doubly as comfy as my trek aluminum one, and it's almost just a light. Plus he paid 60$ for the frame :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rebuilding a Dart Fork

Hi, I know this is a bit late, but for those of you reading because you are trying to take your Dart apart and service it:

I took my uncle's just-about-shot Dart apart a while back (It hardly gave any more). Removing the lowers was harder than I thought, I REALLY had to smack the bolts, and pull down HARD on the lowers to remove them. Once I got them off it was pretty easy to service: I cleaned the whole thing--stanchions, lowers--took steel wool to the rust spots on the left stanchion to smooth them down (no oil left in the fork and a large amount of rust--no wonder why the fork was just about dead :eek: Floor Metal Steel Wind instrument Pen
So then I slathered the stanchions and the seals with grease, slapped the lowers back on, and then put some Automatic transmission fluid in both sides of the fork. Probably not recommended (although I have heard mention of it in the forums), but it is already a cheap fork, and it was almost dead, so I figured why use expensive, "high quality" fork oil? :rolleyes: Overall, the most difficult part was removing the lowers, besides that, it was a breeze compared to servicing my 2005 Fox F80 RL.

Well, all said and done, the fork works pretty good now, it uses the full travel, and it seems actually fairly smooth. It works probably close to if it was new (minus the fact that the seals seep a little fluid because they need to be replaced). Saved my uncle some money on a new fork for awhile :)

Oh, and by the way, it was not my uncle's neglect that caused this, but the guy who had the bike before him..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts