Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I've tried my best to find an answer to a question about Rock Shox's availablity of a 29er fork with a 15mm Maxel axle. Does anyone know if they have one, especially for a Reba? Or does has anyone heard about one coming out? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have one yet for the 29er crowd...

·
WNC Native
3,929 Posts
Jut checking, you know they have 20mm Maxle Reba forks, right?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know they have the Reba with a 20mm, unfortunately for me I have a King qr hub that can only be modified to a 15mm thru-axle not 20mm. So, unless I get a new hub I'm stuck with either a qr or 15mm... You see me dilemma? And before you ask, I'm only looking at Rock Shox for personal reasons. I know Fox makes a 15mm 29er, I just wanna give RS a try instead.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
15 mm doesn't suck. I agree 20 mm is marginally better...but interchangeability is more important. Did Rock Shox allow any and all to make 20 mm axles and hubs without charging (open standard)? If so, I wonder why it didn't become the default standard.

·
Hike it or Bike it!
287 Posts
homey said:
Yeah, I know they have the Reba with a 20mm, unfortunately for me I have a King qr hub that can only be modified to a 15mm thru-axle not 20mm. So, unless I get a new hub I'm stuck with either a qr or 15mm... You see me dilemma? And before you ask, I'm only looking at Rock Shox for personal reasons. I know Fox makes a 15mm 29er, I just wanna give RS a try instead.
Then you'll have to rebuild your front wheel with a different hub if you want a TA fork. Or just keep it 9mm QR and get a REBA XX with 9mm QR.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I read something about 2012 or late 2011, Rockshox will be going to a 15mm Maxle-Lite..or atleast making one. I think it would be great if they offered a SID 29 at the same time. Something lighter than the Reba (not that its heavy) for racing.

I am not sure if this is a rumor, or if I read it in MBA...if I did read it in MBA it would be Feb or Mar '11

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
mobaar said:
Manitou will have 15mm soon (if its not out already). Guess they don't know either.
I read in a Dirt Rag review of the Tower Pro that the 15mm version will be out this summer.

I really hope RS comes out with a 15mm option this year.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Yah, the 20mm is overkill, and it would be easier for hub manufacture to make one standard T/A. Also brands like Easton and American Classic are interchangable between 9 and 15, but 20mm is a different hub altogether....removing the 20mm and reducing to 15mm would give pretty much the same strength in a more versitile platform...

Honestly, if they wanted to do it right, they should also make all forks, or have a fork lineup that are are convertable from 9QR or 15TA so you have a choice of axle options on the fork. I think this could be done by an additional adaptor that is inserted into the for leg axle hole.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
20 mm isn't technically any heavier, so not really overkill there; the compromise is in the hub. The bearings have to be MUCH bigger, or crammed into a smaller space and less durable; pick your poison. It'd be nice if it was standardized...to either one (although I prefer 15 since I just bought a wheelset)

It seems like it should be possible to build some kind of reducer to go into the 20mm Maxle dropouts to allow installation of a 15 mm axle. I don't see why not...but I haven't looked very closely. 9mm might be different since they're generally on open-ended dropouts.

That'd be the best solution though, and would be backwards- compatilbe to older RS forks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts