Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new 07 Recon a couple months ago for the new season and had the shop put a heavy spring in it. I weigh about 220 and thought it would have been a good idea. I think I could have been wrong since the fork is not stiffer than I think it should be. Any hints on what the stock spring was rated for? I'm thinking about taking the fork back and having them put the stock spring back in... I'm just look for some advice from someone that knows a lot about shocks.

--Mike

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
well, i'm 230 and i got the extra firm spring based on rock shox's recommendations. i think it's too firm. the medium was definitely not firm enough for me (i'm set at 100mm...apparently the 'lower' you set the fork the more compression it gives the spring...thus making it a bit stiffer).

i'd like to have the 'firm' spring, which is inbetween medium and extra firm.

i'd see if your lbs will exchange it out for your for the 'firm' spring and give it a shot.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
oh...and to answer your question, i think i remember reading that the medium spring was rated for a 150 lb. rider. of course, the type of bike you ride will probably make a difference and whether you run at 80 or 130mm should too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts