Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what's up with RNR in Ft. Collins? I've tried to call them 2-3 times in the last few days and their phone is 'temporarily disconnected.' I went by the shop today and it looked like a ghost town. The sign said I was there during business hours but the Closed sign was up. Lots of stuff still hangin in the shop but there was a giant SALE sign in the window. I hope that wasn't a clearance sale!!! I'm trying to get my eyes on a Santa Cruz and a Giant, both of which they carry.

Anyone know anything?

-j

·
Registered
564 Posts
They're done!

They closed their doors a week or so ago and no word on what the deal is. I'm interested to see if they auction everything off that they had left. It's better anyway. They didn't really support the community or the largest customer in town which is the students. They focused too much on the high end racer/rider and it killed them. Lee's has too much of the business in town for them to compete any more. It will be intersted to see how it turns out.

·
slow
7,734 Posts
Too Bad

If they're gone, it is a shame. Even if they didn't cater to the right customers, it is too bad we have to lose another local bike shop. It might not have been the customer base at all, but the competition from the web. So many people go into a local bike shop to ask a ton of questions, be fitted for clothes, shoes, or a bike, and then go order it online or buy from e-Bay. When it is the wrong size, or it breaks, they go to the LBS to try to exchange or get warranty service. Margins are tight anyway, and then you get big mail order companies selling stuff cheaper at retail than the shop can buy it wholesale from their distributors. It is a tough business and without some support, there will be few places to go for professional service.

I'm as much a cheapskate as the next guy, maybe more, but I think it is important to support these guys.

Just 2 cents worth from an old shop rat.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It's been coming a long time

I must say it's not just on-line business that hurt them. I'm not saying that supporting your LBS is bad either. The most profitable bike shop in this town is probably locally owned. We all know who that is and we know that the only reason people shop there is because of the name brands that they carry. Everyone knows that their customer service sucks too. Anyway, sorry for the rant. As a side note if I'm not mistaken Kona actually dropped Rock N Road as a dealer a while back. If anyone has insight on this that would be helpful so I don't look so dumb. Now that Kona has been picked up by another LBS they're flying out the door from what I hear. Like I said before. I think they were too descriminate in who they wanted their customers to be. In this town you aint gonna last if you do that. You must realize that there must be (to my knowledge) at least 5 locally owned bike shops and probably a hand full of others I don't know. I think we're doing just fine with LBS and they all "seem" to be doing fine. I guess I'm venting from the experiences I have had with RNR.

My additional 2 cents

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
Heard over the weekend that they shut down about 2 weeks ago. The owner was way over his head and it appears that he might be filling for personal bankruptcy to cover some. He was in deep to most major brands and they might be taking him to court.

Heard this from a couple of different people at the festival of cycling in Boulder on Saturday.

Always hate to see an LBS file for bankruptcy but once Performance comes to town, it makes people to wierd things

·
Registered
564 Posts
Road 34

bulletbob said:
Who so I can go check 'em out?

Who? And do the guys in Loveland still carry Kona?

Just curious!

thnx
Road 34 on West Elizabeth carries Kona. Those guys are super chill and they also carry Yeti and Ironhorse. They're the freeride downhill shop in town.

·
being is
286 Posts
marty good, rick(?) bad

Was that his name? Rick(?) Whoever partner #2 was... that guy always seemed really irritable. I can understand not wanting to be asked dumb questions all the time but he would give vague answers to legitimate questions then get pissed when you misinterpreted him. He just seemed like the sort who wanted to berate the customer a little bit here and there. Made me want to avoid the place. Marty on the other hand was always a class act. But in any case it is kind of a shitty business unless you really like retail and who does?

Now Brave New Wheel is still in business but Dave is probably the personification of thrift. You'll never see an Aprillia Mille parked in front of BNW like I used to see in front of RNR.

And I like Bill the mechanic at the *other* shop. He's fun to talk to in a curious way. The girls in the front of the other shop are useless but they probably don't steal anything...

·
That one dude
142 Posts
umm...

mtn_man2 said:
The most profitable bike shop in this town is probably locally owned. We all know who that is and we know that the only reason people shop there is because of the name brands that they carry. Everyone knows that their customer service sucks too.
I have to disagree that Road 34's customer service sucks. Every time I've been in there for help, even with the most minor things which won't net them much money, they have been more than willing to help me out. Not to mention the fact that they let us jump in their backyard :cool: (Anyone going to the Superfly Invitational? ;) )

·
Registered
564 Posts
I was refering to Lee's in that portion of the post

big_johnson said:
I have to disagree that Road 34's customer service sucks. Every time I've been in there for help, even with the most minor things which won't net them much money, they have been more than willing to help me out. Not to mention the fact that they let us jump in their backyard :cool: (Anyone going to the Superfly Invitational? ;) )
I was answering the question of who carries Kona when posting about Road 34. I have no issues with those guys at all. The quote that you were responding to was based on Lee's not Road 34.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
big_johnson said:
I want to hit the superfly but I've got family coming to visit me that day. Hopefully I can still make the jam.

·
2,821 Posts
Like others have mentioned, Rick closed the shop a couple of weeks ago. Everyhing else is now owned by the bank. Did people get burned? Sure - and many do when a business closes. Rick came to Ultimate last week and brought a few repair stands he was testing long-term back to us and wanted to "make good" with those in the industry. I applaud him for this. He will continue to do builds and repairs out of his garage - if you'd like his home #, PM me and I can get that to you.

Rick's biggest bike line was Giant. Guess who moved into town last summer? Performance. Performance is Giant's largest dealer and the prices Performance charges are rediculous. I'm not saying that's what put him out....but when a Performance moves within 2 miles of your shop and stocks a similar line - that is never a good thing. From what I understand RnR also had Orbea - and I see a TON of Orbea road bikes in FTC so Rick was obviously doing well with that line.

R.I.P.

·
That one dude
142 Posts
mtn_man2 said:
I was answering the question of who carries Kona when posting about Road 34. I have no issues with those guys at all. The quote that you were responding to was based on Lee's not Road 34.
Ah, my bad. I have to agree about Lee's. Road 34 is pretty much where I go for everything I need to get these days, I was wondering how anybody could dislike their service ;)

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
Performance probably was the nail in the coffin, but RnR had lost my business a long time ago. I don't need attitude nor do I need to be insulted by their management. When I first moved back to Fort Collins, (after a 6 year stint in Denver). One of my first stops was RnR to introduce myself since they were a Santa Cruz dealer and I was racing for Santa Cruz at the time. I was looking for a local shop that delt with my bikes and would be willing to wrench on them. I did not go in there looking for a deal or anything, just wanted to introduce myself. I always try to be on a first name basis with my local shop so that if I do get in a pinch before a race and need something ASAP. Everyone here knows that being on a first name basis with anyone in a shop helps when it comes to needing a favor. Anyway-- before I could get more than two words out, the guy started insulting racers and Santa Cruz! He flat out told me I should be riding a Cannondale-- hmm looking around the shop I saw lots of cannondales no Santa Cruz's. Dississing his own line because he did not have one in stock--- not good!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Road 34 picking up Santa Cruz

I called and talked to someone at Road 34. As mentioned above they carry Kona and Yeti. A little birdy told me they were going to pick up the Santa Cruz line as well and they confirmed. He said it would be a couple of weeks before they got set up with everything though. Good news though. The whole reason I went to RnR in the first place was to check out Santa Cruz. Good to see a local dealer.

On a side note, I asked which Yetis they carried. He said they stocked the 575 and some others but no ASR-SL which I seem to obsessed with after test riding in Boulder last weekend. Get this, he said if I was really interested they would call the factory in Golden and arrange a visit to test ride some of their demo fleet around Golden on the local trails. How sweet is that.

I've got to be honest, I've kind of avoided Road 34 because I thought they were more into they FR/DH scene (not there's anything wrong with that ... I'm more into XC), but with that one brief call I will definitely be checking them out.

I was doing a quick survey in my head and it seems we have a pretty good selection of dealers/brands to choose from around here:

My list:
Lee's (FC) -> Trek, Spec., RM, Fisher
Road 34 (FC)-> Yeti, Kona, SC (soon)
Cycologist (FC) -> Titus, Salsa
Mtn. High Cyclery -> Ventana, Turner
Peloton -> Trek, Spec., Litespeed
and even Performance -> Jamis, Giant

oh yeah, REI .. not sure what they carry but a good place to buy accessories in a pinch.

any others I'm missing ... I can't even think of any other makes I'd be interested in ...

-j

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
Soloracer said:
Performance probably was the nail in the coffin, but RnR had lost my business a long time ago. I don't need attitude nor do I need to be insulted by their management. When I first moved back to Fort Collins, (after a 6 year stint in Denver). One of my first stops was RnR to introduce myself since they were a Santa Cruz dealer and I was racing for Santa Cruz at the time. I was looking for a local shop that delt with my bikes and would be willing to wrench on them. I did not go in there looking for a deal or anything, just wanted to introduce myself. I always try to be on a first name basis with my local shop so that if I do get in a pinch before a race and need something ASAP. Everyone here knows that being on a first name basis with anyone in a shop helps when it comes to needing a favor. Anyway-- before I could get more than two words out, the guy started insulting racers and Santa Cruz! He flat out told me I should be riding a Cannondale-- hmm looking around the shop I saw lots of cannondales no Santa Cruz's. Dississing his own line because he did not have one in stock--- not good!
I never had a good rapport with him either. He was always cocky and rude. So after the south store closed and he was the only one to deal with, I worked on my own bikes and purchased next to nothing from him. I would go in and talk to some of the wrenches and get necessities, but never a large purchase.

I hate to see anyone go out of business, especially the bike business, but he just wasn't that personable in my opinion.

·
Registered
564 Posts
REI carries...

j-dawg said:
I called and talked to someone at Road 34. As mentioned above they carry Kona and Yeti. A little birdy told me they were going to pick up the Santa Cruz line as well and they confirmed. He said it would be a couple of weeks before they got set up with everything though. Good news though. The whole reason I went to RnR in the first place was to check out Santa Cruz. Good to see a local dealer.

On a side note, I asked which Yetis they carried. He said they stocked the 575 and some others but no ASR-SL which I seem to obsessed with after test riding in Boulder last weekend. Get this, he said if I was really interested they would call the factory in Golden and arrange a visit to test ride some of their demo fleet around Golden on the local trails. How sweet is that.

I've got to be honest, I've kind of avoided Road 34 because I thought they were more into they FR/DH scene (not there's anything wrong with that ... I'm more into XC), but with that one brief call I will definitely be checking them out.

I was doing a quick survey in my head and it seems we have a pretty good selection of dealers/brands to choose from around here:

My list:
Lee's (FC) -> Trek, Spec., RM, Fisher
Road 34 (FC)-> Yeti, Kona, SC (soon)
Cycologist (FC) -> Titus, Salsa
Mtn. High Cyclery -> Ventana, Turner
Peloton -> Trek, Spec., Litespeed
and even Performance -> Jamis, Giant

oh yeah, REI .. not sure what they carry but a good place to buy accessories in a pinch.

any others I'm missing ... I can't even think of any other makes I'd be interested in ...

-j
Their brand, Novara, Marin, and K2. We are trying to pick up Cannondale as well. As a company we carry Tomac and Litespeed. All of these can be ordered through the Fort Collins store though. Nice job with the break down of who carries what.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.