Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so if I'm honest I was less than fully stoked to realize this b*stard pebble had wedged itself into the suspension of my composite framed Trance adv 2 ... as you can see from the photo the ship has already sailed on avoiding chips in the finish :madman: but meh I got the bike to ride not to look brand new 5yrs from now when it is outdated anyways... whatever???

it appears that everything is fine (removing the rock was not easy needed needle nose pliers to get the stupid thing out.. all I see is a few new battle scar finish chips ??? I think I'm ok otherwise?

Blue Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle chain Bicycle drivetrain part

Iron Metal Steel Composite material Machine

Human Blue Finger Skin Bicycle part

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That area looks like it's seen a bit of action. I'd probably put some tape across the gap at the very least to avoid a repeat.
I suppose that sounds pretty reasonable.. I will do that.. my special skill seems to be kicking rocks up into the rear triangle of my mtb..

bike is hardly a year old.. I like to go fast on gravel descents .. oh well could be worse it could be sitting with shirts on it?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
It doesn't look like any carbon fiber was involved as the rear triangle and lower link are al. A lot of bikes have similar gap between the rear triangle and BB. A Trek Fuel I've been riding has a similar gap. I've seen pebbles sitting on it occasion but not jammed in it. Just luck I guess. Some stuff a piece of moto foam in there. Moto foam is a coarse open cell foam used to exclude mud and debris from recesses and other areas on off-road motorcycles. Another approach is to fabricate a flap from an inner tube and tie it on with zip ties. You need something that will work as the suspension moves through its travel.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,339 Posts
The WTB tires on my hardtail (Vigilante/Trail Boss) FREQUENTLY pick up pebbled and toss them into the frame. Most of my rides require riding at least some stretches of gravel, and I hear lots of pinging from the rocks bouncing off the frame. I'm glad hardtails don't have too many nooks for them to get lodged in.

Anything you put protection tape over, I'd probably dab some clear nail polish over the paint chips before applying the tape. And especially paint chips where you see carbon beneath.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.