Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rock Lobster Gimpsman

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  First Flight 
#1 ·
This is the Rock Lobster that we recently picked up. Mostly XTR (including head set and seat post) with a Dura Ace front track hub. The serial number is Gimpsman and here is the story of the bike from Paul Sadoff

I know the frame you are speaking of well. It's a team issue fillet ( unfiled) made originally for Kim Seargent ( now married to Joe Murray) when she was together with Steve Garro ( Coconino cycles, Flagstaff,Az.) The bike has a lot of hard miles and Kim was a decent racer as well as one of the "Mutants" , a renegade group of MTB riders in the early '90's in Flagstaff. Kim was working for A-5, a company that made really durable packs of all kinds but the one pack that all the Mutants had was the "Gimpsman" pack....;..an indestructable cordura fanny pack that was big enough for a 12-pack of beer but remarkably compact. Kim left A-5 and formed her own company " Evil Kim packs" which she sold after a number of years. I got a gimpsman pack made by Kim at A-5 in 1993. I still have it and it has no holes in it. I have taken that pack to many places here and in Europe.....it refuses to die. That frame I built for Kim was made like the pack.....it won't die easily. I think Kim had that bike for 14 years.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

See less See more
#11 ·
ahh...

Sweet rig...and story...talk about a pair of classy classics Sadoff and Middendorf

A5 was the **** when Middendorf owned it...still have my A5 haul bag...it saw many a Valley ascent as well as some 1st's in NewfyLand...now it sits in the basement. Never got a Gimp, already had my FishBootyBag...

I am sure he digs checks from NorthWaste...power to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.