Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mulleticious
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share some pics of my new steel hardtail. On the wet, muddy clay trails of Hertfordshire it certainly beats using the full bouncer.

Don't know much about it - the Reynolds 853 steel tubed frame is apparently designed by a Paul Sadhoff. (Anyone heard of him?). Merlin cycles in Lancashire in the UK put the bike together for a very reasonable price, with the latest XT groupset and a Rock Shox Reba Team 100mm travel fork. They build their own wheels with 717 rims.

It's great fun to ride - nice and springy - so far. Weighs in at a shade over 27lbs complete with Ergon bar-ends, bottle cage and computer. I'm using Conti Explorer 2.1" tubeless (Stans) boots and Crank Bros egg-beaters.

What thoughts on steel frames? Anyone else have one? What have you done to it? Post some pics... :thumbsup:

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel
Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle part
Text Red Amber Carmine Maroon
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

·
Mulleticious
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting

Thanks mate - that's interesting. I didn't realise they made so few frames. I didn't have to wait that long for mine - I presume Merlin order in batches and I was lucky.

It rides really nicely - lots of fun. :D

·
I like butter
456 Posts
http://mombat.org/Rock_Lobster.htm

if you look under 1999 Paul started a 5 year agreement with Merlin and I guess it has extended.

You are hard pressed to find a better guy than Paul Sadoff and can hear some of the funniest stories ever when you get him together with Ross Shafer.

·
illuminator82
251 Posts
very very reputable frame builder out west. the cyclocross team just tears it up out here, in nor cal.. one of the best around imhu..up there with steelman, hunter, soulcraft, sycip and many many others...
just my lousy 2 cents

·
I like butter
456 Posts
Don't forget that Jeremy SyCip was an apprentice under Paul (Rock Lobster) Paul is a top notch builder and just a great guy.

very very reputable frame builder out west. the cyclocross team just tears it up out here, in nor cal.. one of the best around imhu..up there with steelman, hunter, soulcraft, sycip and many many others...
just my lousy 2 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts