1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274542

My Commuter bike
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Built a "hybrid" bike to commute to work. Rock Lobster frameset (Ebay), Monkeylite carbon bars (Ebay) Shimano Dura Ace Crankset and Derailleur, Mavic wheelset, etc.... Rode it today, about 6 miles one way. Weighs a svelte 20 lbs. Only bummer was that it was over 100 degrees on the way home,

----------

I ride a 2003 Diamondback Topanga Comp Disk around the city, it weighs 30 lbs.

I want a bike that's like the above, around 20lbs. Can someone recommend a "solution"? (I'm on a budget) Is the above 20 lb bike expensive, because of the lightweight components?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not that I am trying to be the Negative Nancy in the thread, but that's just a flat bar road bike... and 20 pounds is not even remotely "svelte" for a roadbike.

As for the question about that bike's cost... it's a very good steel bike. The crank and derailleurs are nice... the wheels are mediocre, not bad, not great, and who knows what the brakes and shifters are on it. It's a nice frame though, and I bet it rides very nice. It sure is pretty too... but it's not quite what I would call svelte.... even for a steel commuter. But most of that bike's price is the frameset. I would guess it to be somewhere in the $800 to $1200 range when new. But you could probably pick up a very nice steel frame like that on eBay in nice condition for around $500 in another month when most roadie's seasons are winding down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts