Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Similar to the Ripmo frame issues for rock damage, I have experienced a similar issue to the lower pivot area between seat tube and rear triangle after only 200 miles of riding.

As both space are approximately 3/8" to 1/2", small chunks of rocks can get caught and wedged here and do some surprising damage to seat tube or rear triangle. It took me some effort to dislodge yesterday's chunk.

I have seen nothing on the Ibis thread discussing preventative measures to alleviate this issue. What are you doing to mitigate this problem? Is Ibis even talking about this issue? If so, what are they doing to mitigate it?

Thanks for you input. Please show your fix. Thanks!

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Line Font

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
there's info out there in main thread.

one person designed a 3D printed guard.

Ibis will send you a motofoam block that goes in front of lower link if you enter it in "Z-part" field on their Store site.

·
Registered
932 Posts
It's the same on a Ripmo and there is a lot of info for them as well.

As well executed as these frames are Ibis need to come up with smarter design for these areas.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
A cheap quick fix might be to cut, stretch and cable tie some inner tube around the section to prevent rocks getting in.

Give it a go with a bit of old inner tube you have lieing around. You have nothing to loose.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Ibis has a newer solution to the lower link. Call or email them and they'll send it out.

I'll post pics when I can. For the upper link they have it taped up. FWIW, I armored up both of those areas with 3M Mastic tape. Works great and keeps things well covered.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picture please.

Ibis has a newer solution to the lower link. Call or email them and they'll send it out.

I'll post pics when I can. For the upper link they have it taped up. FWIW, I armored up both of those areas with 3M Mastic tape. Works great and keeps things well covered.
Can you post a picture of your fix.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there's info out there in main thread.

one person designed a 3D printed guard.

Ibis will send you a motofoam block that goes in front of lower link if you enter it in "Z-part" field on their Store site.
I was unable to locate the field area on store site. "Z part" field was leading nowhere.
Thanks,

·
Registered
698 Posts

This. 3M 2228 Mastic tape has worked like a charm for over a year on my Ripmo, and looks pretty neat too.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Can you post a picture of your fix.
Here is the stick-on flap piece that Ibis sent me (bends upwards) for my Ripmo, and you can also see the Mastic tape. I tape the shite out of all my bikes, hence I always get black, raw or darker colors.

...and here is an upper flap I fab'd out of an inner tube and Mastic tape on the seat tube.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the stick-on flap piece that Ibis sent me (bends upwards) for my Ripmo, and you can also see the Mastic tape. I tape the shite out of all my bikes, hence I always get black, raw or darker colors.
...and here is an upper flap I fab'd out of an inner tube and Mastic tape on the seat tube.

Thank you! I will endeavor to do this fix.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Possible easy fix!

I will endeavor to do this fix.
I found some black, 3/8"X3/4" foam pipe insulation. The type you see in the hardware stores that are in 6' sections. I use this stuff for bike trunk racks to insure bikes don't rub against each other on long trips.

Anyway, I cut two wedges, one for each pivot slot. Yesterdays twenty mile ride with lots of pivot action, the wedges stayed in place! Invisible as well. I even found a small rock sitting on top of the top wedge, and not affecting the area of concern.

Cheap and easy fix! $1.79 at Home Depot per length.

This is the stuff.

Grey Cylinder Silver Lead

The curve in the cut wedge section adds some staying power.

Grey Rectangle Square

Now, I'll go ride the hell out of it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.