Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing an informal survey of members of this site who are also members of www.rockclimbing.com.

I started out climbing about 5 years ago but got into mountain biking last year as a means of improving my climbing skills (weight control and cardio). Now I'm hooked on biking and looking forward to my first season of cross country racing this Spring. Sadly, now I'm a climbing gym rat on weekday evenings since I'm riding on the weekends (and weekdays).
I feel a little guilty about cutting back on the outdoor climbing since I have made many excellent friends through climbing and have had some amazing climbing trips. I don't want to give up climbing since I love the terror of the sharp end but improving my biking skills is getting priority.

I'd like to hear about your experiences with balancing two great sports.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I'm a member of rockclimbing.com, but haven't posted or lurked in quite some time.

I'm a former climber that has tried to stage a comeback a couple of times over the past couple of years. I'm just not into it anymore.

My "heyday", if you wanna call it that, was during my college years in the 90s. Even though I wasn't a stud climber, I really enjoyed it. I was involved in my alma mater's climbing club, I helped out with competitions, I helped teach, blah blah blah. After my buddies graduated and moved away, I started to lose the the passion for it. I would still get out every now and then with other climbers, but the fun factor definately wasn't there. I just wasn't that comfortable with 'em and for me that was a big thing for me on how well I would climb.

I still continued to work at a couple of climbing walls in town and climbed a lil' bit (hence my screen name). And up until either the spring of '04 or '05, I was one of three people that was just working the climbing wall at our local REI.

My gym has a climbing wall and I'd get in there every now and then and it just wasn't fun.

A couple of years ago it just got to the point where it both wasn't fun and if I did want to go climb outside at the local crag...it really became more of an ordeal. And that's when I just gave it up.

Like I said, I did try to stage a couple of comebacks over the past couple of years, but it's just not for me anymore.

From what I've seen locally over the years....there wasn't much crossover between really hardcore climbers and hardcore bikers.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm on there. Haven't visited for awhile. I have midweek days off, so it's hard to come up with partners. I used to hang out with this guy that took me climbing everywhere. I guess you could say he was my climbing mentor. I got to climb in places that I had only dreamed of. This guy was crazy. An excellent climber.
Back in the 90's, we climbed everything we could find here in Napa Valley and made several trips to 'The Valley'. Climbed Half Dome, Glacier Point and a whole bunch of other areas over the years.
Then one year we decided to take a 3 month long trip. We made our way up to Tahoe and spent several days at Donner Summit. Then we drove to Salt Lake City. Climbed several routes in Little Cottonwood Canyon. After that we made our way to City of Rocks in Idaho. That place is incredible! Jackson Hole was next. We spent over a week waiting for a permit to climb The Grand. The north side. Got to climb a bunch of the local crags and stayed in the climbers camp while we waited. We never got the permit and drove to Washington where we summited Mt. Ranier. Our next stop would have been Smith Rocks but it was burning down that summer.

I miss climbing. But it's hard to fit it in with all the ski-mountaineering,
http://thebackcountry.net/bb/search.php?search_id=egosearch
white water kayaking and of course the daily dose of mt. biking!

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
I climbed until I had a serious injury that put me out of action for four months. That was in the summer of '90. While I was still climbing, I would use biking to stay in shape. Now mountain biking is all I concentrate on (with a little XC skiing and snowboarding in the winter, flyfishing in the summer).

·
Registered
969 Posts
Climbing addict on wheels...

At 18 years old I was completely addicted to rock & ice climbing. I lived in Yosemite for 9 summers and climbed every weekend during the school year. I worked as a guide / instructor and in climbing shops while in college, then helped start a shop. Climbing was the most important thing in my life - school & career & even relationships were unquestionably lower in my personal hierarchy. My addiction to climbing shaped my destiny.

I started mountain biking casually in the 90's. In 2001 an elbow injury from bouldering took me out of the climbing scene. I had to replace my nearly 20-year movement-addiction with something as engaging, and man, I was immidiately hooked on mountain biking / freeride!

I've not climbed in 6 years now, but I am just begining to feel the urge again. I had major elbow reconstruction a few months ago - invloving permanent titanium screws and a plate - so I don't know if I'll be able to climb steeps again, but slabs should be fine...

Yes, I look forward to being able to include and balance both passions in my life!

No, I don't do the climbing forums. The world of climbing has changed - I learned as a young kid in the 70's - the gym scene, the overt competetion... is not my scene.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
I'm an ex-climber. Ex because I live somewhere where I've gotten bored of the climbing so I've switched completely to biking.

I've found that to be a decent climber, I needed to dedicate most of my sporting energy to it- climbing twice or preferably three times a week to maintain or improve. Most of my travel was dedicated to climbing- at last count, i'd climbed in 10-15 countries. As a climber, biking was an enjoyable secondary activity.

One day I'll move somewhere with mountains, and get back into climbing. Until then, I'm happy to stick with trying to become a reasonable biker.

PS: I joined rockclimbing.com around five years ago. Used it for 6 months then realised that people just keep spraying the same self-important rubbish over and over. The MTBR forums are much better ;)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Haven't been on a rope in far too long. I'm an rc member, was an avid climber for a while. Lead some trad, climbed some great routes over 1000 ft, bouldered all over, introduced a ton of people to the sport. Actually found most of my riding friends though a local climbing gym.

Last year two things shifted me from having climbing as my primary sport- Partner blew out her rotator cuff, and I rolled something bigger than most of the boulder problems I'd been doing. The feeling of riding up to the same boulders I'd been chalking up for and rolling straight down them in a near freefall was just an insane rush. I still find myself missing the high lonesome and I'll be back soon, but for now I'm having too much fun riding my bike in the woods.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Of all the hobbies I've had I miss climbing the most. Haven't been on the sharp end for 10 years but for 3 years it was all I did. Most weekdays after work were spent at a climbing gym or bouldering and every other weekend I was at Joshua Tree. Mostly sport climbed but did some trad stuff at Taq/Suicide. Then i busted my pelvis mtn biking and only have 80% range of motion in my right leg with full power, i can't push very hard from a squat.
That was 10 years ago and been mostly just mtn biking since.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
That's a bummer. I really do believe that mountain biking is more injury prone than climbing.

Despite it's 'extreme' (and I use that word sarcastically) cachet, injuries from rockclimbing seem to me much rarer than in most other sports. Especially the team/contact sports. The downside is that climbing injuries tend to be more on the serious side.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm not on the rockclimbing forums but used to be a rec.climbing regular in the 90s. Until last October I used to climb about twice a week (indoors and out). I bought a new pair of comfy shoes looking forward to a summer of trad climbing on Mt Wellington (Hobart Tasmania, Australia). Then three weeks later I bought my first duallie, and have only been climbing once all summer! I'd love to climb and ride, but with work and a life to live there doesn't seem to be time...I guess when the evenings get dark again I'll turn back into a climbing gym-rat, but with the light lasting until 9.30pm in summer there are just too many after-work rides to do.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used to climb. The only relevant comment I can think of is that if for some reason I didn't climb for a while (even as short an interval as a few weeks) it was then an uphill struggle to get back to where I was. It is a sport that requires alot of dedication. You can't just love it and leave it whenever you feel like it.

Whereas mtb is more forgiving. You can have a few weeks off (due to bad weather or injury or just not feeling like it) and there is no huge price to pay. Plus when you do take time off there are other way to keep endurance and cardio up.
Climbing though sure is up there with those great mystical magical things you can do in your life type things...

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
dsut4392 said:
I'm not on the rockclimbing forums but used to be a rec.climbing regular in the 90s.
Wow, that's a blast of nostalgia. I used to frequent rec.climbing in the mid 90s... but it's been so long that I had forgotten that it even existed!

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Keep doin' both!

srwings said:
I'm doing an informal survey of members of this site who are also members of www.rockclimbing.com.

I started out climbing about 5 years ago but got into mountain biking last year as a means of improving my climbing skills (weight control and cardio). Now I'm hooked on biking and looking forward to my first season of cross country racing this Spring. Sadly, now I'm a climbing gym rat on weekday evenings since I'm riding on the weekends (and weekdays).
I feel a little guilty about cutting back on the outdoor climbing since I have made many excellent friends through climbing and have had some amazing climbing trips. I don't want to give up climbing since I love the terror of the sharp end but improving my biking skills is getting priority.

I'd like to hear about your experiences with balancing two great sports.
I love both, and find them very complementary. :thumbsup: Climbing is so upper body oriented, while biking is mostly the lungs and legs - and, of course, they both share your core. 3rd nemesis would have to be skiing. All 3 of these sports can take you to the most amazing places! I agree with you that biking is a great way to stay aerobically fit for climbing, and by doing both, hopefully you can prevent burnout from one or the other. Well, not that I could fathom being burned out on either...

As far as balancing both goes, it would be no problem without a job... ;) But, alas, most of us have jobs and it can be difficult to balance both with work, and life in general. My favorite type of road trip is to a destination where I can climb one day and bike the next. Moab is the obvious (closest) example. This year, I'm trying to focus more on MTB'ing and getting into the racing scene a little bit, so I haven't been climbing quite as much. Sounds like you're having a similar experience. I've never been much for "training", so my aerobic training for climbing comes from biking, and my core training for biking comes from climbing. Seems like a perfect combo to me!

I've never liked rockclimbing.com much (complete agreement with other poster's opinions on the site), but I was a regular on climbingboulder.com (aka whiningboulder.com) which morphed into climbing_insert_area_here_.com, ultimately turning into www.mountainproject.com. mountainproject.com is a fantastic resource for climbing all over the US. I have a few biking/climbing/skiing photos and stories on my website too if you're interested: www.climbingdreams.net

Keep riding AND climbing!
Stefan

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm a member of both and I seem to sort of pendulum from one to another. Last summer I was hard into rock climbing, got out probably 3 or 4 days a week.

Just before Christmas my g/f and main climbing partner broke her ankle on a lead fall and since then we haven't been climbing much so I've been MTBing like 3 or 4 days a week.

This is the strongest I've ever been for the beginning of the season so it's looking like it's going to be an epic summer.

We're headed to Red Rocks at the end of this month but I think I'm going to give a pretty poor performance on the climbs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i am not on rockclimbing.com, [although i will be now!] but i both climb and bike... actually, my local wall is a natural cliff that is on the access trail to the local biking trails! woot! i am headed to maine for the summer, so hopefully i will get some more of both in... who knows, mountain biking is every where, and rumney NH isn't so far away either!!!!!!!!!!!!! =P

·
Registered
732 Posts
I used to post on rec.climbing around 6 or 7 years ago.

These days, I usually mountain bike when there's too much snow at altitude but once the snow melts, I'm usually on the slopes more often than biking... although I use my bike for many approaches.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the backcountry skiing. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.