Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend, I was able to give the Rocco a thorough testing in a variety of terrain ranging from slow technical slick rock, to fast rocky singletrack. I threw in a mix of drops to tranny, and flat, as well as some gaps and stepups. Here are my impressions:

Day 1 was spent on the Barrel trail. For anyone who has ridden that trail, they know how fast and technical it is. The ride starts out with a 20 minute climb to the top. This is where I spent my time fiddeling with the TST adjuster. There are 5 clicks of adjustment. Basically the TST is the propedal adjustement. When turned all the way to the +, the shock feels like it is almost completely locked out. Turn the knob 180 degrees to the -, and the shock becomes uber-plush. I am amazed at the range of platform you get from one half turn of this knob. On the stock DHX, the propedal knob to me never created a noticable difference, but on the Rocco, the difference is night and day. This I loved. Day 2 was spent out on the slickrock of Little Creek Mesa. For this type of slow speed techy riding with quick up's and downs, I set the TST in the middle setting: This created a more forgiving feeling in the rear suspension, without wallowing in it's travel, when climbing up stair steppy sections. Every click of the TST adjuster makes a notivable difference.

Descending: For the initial descent on the Barrel trail, I opened the TST up all the way, and let er' rip. The rear end of my 07 RFX tracked nicely, and I give the Rocco an advantage over the stock DHX, but, I still feel that the Push'd DHX tracked better than the Rocco. Despite playing with the rebound knob several times, the Rocco still got a bit spikey in the high speed chop, but still significantly better than the stock DHX.

Big hits is where the Rocco really shines. The Rocco feels nice and deep, without that harsh ramp up at the end of the stroke, like the stock DHX. I was running 220 psi in the air chamber on the Rocco. The range is 180-220 psi, and I set it at max, and left it there.

I really think that the Rocco is superior in every way to the stock DHX. The TST adjuster is very nice, and much more convenient than the Propedal adjuster of the DHX. The Rocco tracks better thru the chop, and feels much deeper on the big hits than the DHX.

Two thumbs up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
ElC, good feedback on the Roco, cheers. Like how you write straight to the facts, great stuff.... Yep and it looks the part too....

·
Registered
339 Posts
I can concur with this positive review. Only one ride so far in sub freezing temps, but I can already comment on a few things.

The back tire stays glued to the ground. Definitely improved traction over the Pushed Vanilla R I had before.

Its so supple especially at high speeds over choppy terrain. I always had a constant vibration with my Vanilla R. Now it is like butter without the platform. My Pike can hardly keep up!

The TST is pretty cool. I really like the wide open position for DH or just goofing around. Its great for preloading and catapulting over obstacles. And honestly pedal bob is not that bad in that setting, feels like a motocross bike.

What spring are you guys running and how heavy are you?

I am running a 700 lb x 2.25 spring and I weigh about 200 lbs. I do get the recommended sag, but just wondering what everybody else is running.

Attachments

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
sriracha said:
just for clarification:
isn't the TST function on the ROCO a slow-speed compression damping adjustment?
where as the DHX is a pro-pedal platform?
Same difference, ain't it? Propedal, SPV and TST are types of low speed compression damping.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:
Same difference, ain't it? Propedal, SPV and TST are types of low speed compression damping.
not trying to argue here, but i think there is a difference between a stable platform and low speed compression. maybe a suspension guru could explain...

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,843 Posts
SPV is a valve (Stable Platform VALVE) that keeps the shock pretty much locked out until it hits a threshhold, then the valve opens and the shock functions like a normal shock. Its a seperate thing from low speed damping. Thats my guess from having a 5th element anyway.

I have no idea exactly what propedal and tst are.

·
Cheesiest
1,615 Posts
droooooooool! Too bad I just got a new 5th element for my Bullit. The Roco would match my new 66 so well.

Thanks for the write up!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Thanks for the well thought out review, El C. I've been hearing similar reviews from FM with the Roco on his motolite and Highline. Seems like a no brainer to give these a try if you were looking for a new shock or buying a new frame.

Personally, I haven't had any negative issues on my DHX, but it's pretty frickin' big (9.5 x 3) and I wonder if that helps mask some of the issues you mention......or I'm just to dull to notice them??

EB

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.