Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running the RC4 on my bird with a 300lb spring, I'm 165, and it isn't very plush.
Certainly not as plush as the RP. Great on big hits and drops but it doesn't eat up trail junk like the RP. So... Any one try a Zocchi Rocco on their bird? I've never ridden an air shock that was plusher than a coil, except maybe a progressive he he, and am pretty surprised and disappointed in the RC4.

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
Check your compression setting before giving up on the RC4. I would set them as low as possible and ride it, see how it feels then. DW link bikes dont need much compression set if any really.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Let's compare setups. I have the RC4 on my bike and it's frigging awesome. Unfortunately, I'm clyde and you're... not :) I'm running one lighter spring than with the DHX and quite a bit of (High speed) compression damping. That comports with some articles and reviews that I've read about the RC4.

What is your sag with the spring you have on there? You can check it yourself if you push the bottom out bumper up to the shock body and use the top of that to measure sag.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I also wanted to add:

With the DHX air, I'm running very light compression boost pressure so it's slightly confusing as to why the coil sets up so differently.

AND

I tried the Roco WC air on the bird and with everything set as low as it would go, I could only use about 2/3rds of the travel so at least the WC air requires a revalve.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
jodd said:
no preload. 300lb spring is as light as they go. the id on progressive 275lb springs is too small.
Found this link of someone using a Progressive/Manitou/CCDB size coil on a RC4. Apparently they are 3mm wider in ID compared to Fox DHX coils. Manitou steel coils go as light as 250# and are only $15 from Ride-this.com and other places.

I'm always curious about coil options.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran a progressive 275 on the RC4 but it rubbed the shock body. And honestly it didn't feel any better than the 300. Interestingly what sold me on the Bird was a ride on Kevin Tisue's bird with an RC4 and it was very active and plush. There must be something with the tune on mine. It really is quite firm though I get near an inch of sag it doesn't squat out like the RP with that much sag on propedal. FYI I think the RP on propedal feels phenomenal. I'm just itching to get my hands on a gooey coil over and so far the RC4 is very disappointing.
Fox said they'll dyno it. If it looks alright I guess I could ask them to de-tune it. I Ran a Rocco on a Knolly DT and a Nomad for a while so I know that baby is PLUSH! Should have kept the shock.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
1st, check to see what Kevin was running. I live in a cold climate that affects the settings.

2nd, maybe your setup is just wrong?

The bike is awesome. It soaks up little hits like a seasoned pro, and bigger hits like a pro, IMO.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
That shock's still not giving you the love huh? Kevin's had minimal compression (1 click in on HSC, 2 on LSC). Boost was set at 160psi (as far as I remember) with the chamber at full volume. Can't remember what his spring is, 400lb? I ran it with the 500 lb spring and only changed the boost pressure to 180 psi, felt unreal. Having Fox check it out could be a good option.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Here is my setup. I've been riding in 50* and down to frozen trails. My last ride, which felt pretty awesome was:
150 psi in the boost chamber
2 of 3 turns in on the bottom out knob
Low Speed Compression: 13 from full on (6 from full off)
HSC: Full on
Rebound: 10 from full on

I like the setup EXCEPT that on a g-out wooden jump at higher speed the bike tries to buck a tiny bit... but that's it. I also wish it took small square edge bumps just a touch better, but that's getting super, super picky.

·
Registered
919 Posts
That's a bummer. I hate overdamped shocks. Sound like you got the "stiff tune". At 139 lbs. and a low leverage ratio bike, I've run into this on a couple differnt shocks. I ended up running a ROCO coil with a 300# ti progrssive spring on My Knolly. It was still too slow for my liking, but it's real easy to modify. I removed 1 each of the 2 largest diameter shims on the compression and rebound from the main piston. Feels fantastic with the reduced compression. One you get a coil tuned right, there is nothing better IMO. I'm sure FOX can get you fixed up with a softer tune.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.