Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The second half of my recent road trip took us to the Roaring Fork Valley outside Carbondale and Glenwood Springs. Many of the higher trails were still covered from recent snow, but I managed two rides on the Mushroom Rock trail system. These trails comprise a network of about 30-40 miles of very technical singletrack. The Burner climbed well in the 85mm setting up front for the switchback ascents, still had to push up over some the very technical stuff though. Once up on top, the trails really open up into looped connections that tie into each other in a maze of riding. There was still some snow on the North aspects but I got a good 16 mile section of clear riding with only a little mud. This area is phenomenal and requires another scouting trip later in the season. On the descents the Burner was flawless - more than I can say for its pilot though. Pulled a nasty fall on an off camber switchback. The Burner now has its first battle scars.

Attachments

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Oh, never heard of the valley before, it looks like a must. Thanks for turning me on to the area, looks like a road trip coming up!

_MK

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MK_ said:
Oh, never heard of the valley before, it looks like a must. Thanks for turning me on to the area, looks like a road trip coming up!

_MK
I really only scratched the surface. From Glenwood there's a ride called Boyscout trail that sounds awesome, but too much snow now. Outside Carbondale there's looks to be about 50 miles of fire roads and trails along the Crystal River drainage. We're contemplating a move to lower elevation for my wife's health so I was really checking things out. The owner of Ajax Cycles told me "don't move here - you'll really hate the riding" - then he gave me a big Sh-- eating grin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.