Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Chilling out
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Not quite as bad overall as the picture shows, but there's a bunch of snow waiting to melt. Predictably, on the north-facing and particularly in shaded areas. The character of the snow went from a soft couple inches to a very hard couple inches, hard enough to probably hold up to a fat bike going over it.

I "rode" the trail from 42 towards 54, taking the road up to the normal entry onto "pipeline" and proceeding. I didn't try more than half way as from my memory the trail spent so much time on north facing slope that I didn't want to simply be walking through. Soo I changed routes to ...

The black road "trail" that runs atop the ridge is a mixture of softened gravel/dirt/coal residue (depending on composition and water content), snow, ice, and some dry sections. Some standing water in some areas. Makes for a quite messy bike and butt post-ride.

8-mile, as some call it, the 7.5ish mile road between highways 42 and 54 is basically clear, some melting water running onto it making it soft in limited areas but not a problem.

I didn't foray onto the singletrack on the south side, didn't really have time, I expect it's largely in better shape but at least with my limited knowledge it's harder to 'loop' so I didn't.

I figure that another couple days of warmth like we had last week and it'd be mostly melted off, BUT there will be a lot of wet trail on the north face and low-lying trail, so please be patient.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hahah only kidding you. I couldn't get my bike to work right anyway. My XT clutch broke so I am going to have that warrantied. Got an XTR for it and you'd think all would be good but I cannot get the shifting dialed in correctly. I'm waiting for a new housing and cable tomorrow and will try again. Kind of stinks because the first time around with the old derailleur it was almost bolt on and ride.

·
921 Posts
23 Mar 2014 Update

Top of the mountain: 99.9% clear of snow, trails are dry and firm, pretty much perfect. Valley trails: 95% clear of snow, trails are suprisingly dry except for the usual soggy areas. The only trail that's predictably messy is Corduroy.

Bicycle handlebar Natural environment Bicycle Bicycle part Bicycle accessory

·
921 Posts
Corduroy's not something to seek out, and has no useful purpose other than to be used as a connector trail if you drop down from the top of the mountain to do a homestead/headwaters loop, but then want to climb back up the mountain. Strava, no.

Blue Yellow Green Slope Red

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.