Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

In a couple of weeks I am going to be driving up to OR from Los Angeles. I will have about 7 days to ride. My question is if you could drive from southern OR to Mt. St. Helens, what trails would you recommend checking out along the way. I have been checking out previous posts but it seems that all of oregon is just one giant forest. so i hope you guys can help me narrow things down a bit. Once in town i can wing it with accomadations and/or camping. Dont mind at all driving as this is one giant road trip. I would like to get a different ride per day if possible.

Oh, and minor note.....i am bringing a semi-newbie and would like at least one easy flat-ish type trail for him. I can push him along the rest of the trails ;). although we are used to mountain climbing.

ps. there are hardly any trees in southern cali, and most of the trails are dry dirt. so im hoping that i am engulfed in trees and wetness is encouraged. Creeks welcomed.

pss. im sick of the city.

Thanks,

Aldo

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,650 Posts
Morales1320 said:
hey everyone,

In a couple of weeks I am going to be driving up to OR from Los Angeles. I will have about 7 days to ride. ...

Aldo
You could spend all 7 days in Oakridge, OR and wish you had another 7 days.

But that probably won't happen, so let's move along...

I live near Eugene, OR. I have not ridden around Ashland but I hear there are excellent trails there. You might want to spend a day there. It's usually hotter in Ashland than it is in the Willamette Valley (Eugene, Salem, etc.). Anyway, around these parts, plan on one day (at least -- you'll wish for more) in Oakridge, an hour east of Eugene on Hwy 58. Ride Alpine or Middle Fork or Moon Point or Larison Creek. Each one will keep you happy for a day.

Then another day head an hour east of Eugene again (this time on Hwy 126) to the town of McKenzie Bridge and ride the McKenzie River Trail. You'll hate yourself if you get this close to this world famous trail and don't experience it. Plenty of opportunities to get wet, the scenery is stunning, the trees are big and the singletrack is awesome.

Plan on spending Wednesday night in Eugene so you can attend a Disciples of Dirt (mountain bike club) night ride. These happen every Wednesday night. We can show you some good local stuff. You'll find more DOD info by following the link in my sig.

When you get to Washington, check out Mt. St. Helens and the Lewis River Trail.

--Sparty

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I really enjoyed N. Umpqua River trail out of Roseberg. It is beautiful rainforest. The trail is not particularly technical, at least the sections I rode. When you head up the highway into the river valley, the ranger station has good info. Also, it is an IMBA epic trail. However, it is broken into 10 mile segments so you can pick as much or little of the 70 miles as you want.

I also had some fun on unauthorized trails out of Silver Creek Falls State Park out of Salem. You'll want to find someone that knows the area though.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
In the Ashland area head West to the Applegate area trails, stop by in Jacksonville and grab a local map. Great intermediatte to Advanced trails there, good camping as well.

Roseburg, Umpqua river trail, I'm sure there are others but never heard of them...

Eugene, hit Oakridge for at least 2 days, Alpine and Middlefork, talk to Oregon Adventures (sponsor of Mt Bike Oregon) about doing them as shuttles for your friend.

Eugene, like Sparty said, you have to hit McKenzie river trail.

There is 4-5 days right there, you can keep heading north or head east to Bend and do some more awesome riding before heading south.

If you keep heading north I would head towards Hood River and play there for a couple days, some good local riding as well as some awesome stuff up towards Mt Hood, 15 mile, 8 mile and kneeeble springs, or Surveyors ridge are very cool rides and popular.

Hope that helps, as always if you are looking for company in the areas post when you will be in town and you might get a local to join you and show you the goods.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I just finally finished accumulating all the legal sections of the North Umpqua trail today. It only took 3 years and a total of 6 days on the trail :)

The whole trail is worth riding and has a variety of environments from dusty high-cascades trail to wet and rocky on Dread and Terror to rolling singletrack on the lower sections. I can't say there's any part of the trail I haven't enjoyed.

There's one section closed to all users right now due to danger from the leftovers of a forest fire a few years back, the last couple miles at the top of the trail are in a wilderness area so off-limits to bikes. That only leaves about 70 or so miles of trail :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. That is all some great info and more than enough to keep me busy while in town. As always mtbr came through.

Cant wait!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts