Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found this Breezer Venturi the other day. Its not mine, but would certinly love to own it. Love the paint, and its got great lines to it as well. Keep this thread going, I love mountain bikes, but road bikes are pretty freakin cool too.

Attachments

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
i was going to mention the venturi! i've seen it in person (w/ a folded front triangle after hit by a car) and it's so pretty. i love the forties paintscheme, in blue even more...
not many around.
the slim chance, yeti road, rhygyn, salsa la raza, bontrager, ibis spanky... all nice.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I really love the look of Ritchey's road frames. The new Swiss Cross, Road Logic and Breakaway all get my jones going. A local shop has (or had, it's been a while since I've been there) an older (early 90's late 80's) Ritchey road bike that was very nice.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife's got a sweet Ritchey Road Logic at home. I'll have to post a pic of it. I guess I forgot to mention that I wanted to see pictures of all these rigs. Visual Stimuli.That's what I want!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
ssmike said:
I really love the look of Ritchey's road frames. The new Swiss Cross, Road Logic and Breakaway all get my jones going. A local shop has (or had, it's been a while since I've been there) an older (early 90's late 80's) Ritchey road bike that was very nice.
You can't forget the Chicane. It has the plexus stays, sweet. I would love to get hold of a newer Swiss Cross with the plexus stays.

Road 'Lobsters are nice especially with lug work.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
alltime best road frames

I have personally owned, as in paid some sum$ in exchange for possession of, 23 road frames, actually have a list of them here. Had probably a couple dozen others for "extended testing" which means I rode them for a while, sometimes a real long while, before returning them to their rightful owners. And I've test-ridden at least 2-300 other road bikes, as I used to do bike tests.
The two very very best road bikes in any of these categories were built by the late Dave Tesch. What made them special was his front-end geometry, which paired a steeper than normal head tube angle with a fork rake with less than normal offset, a combination that provides more than normal trail. Toe clip overlap, you betcha. Never had a problem with that, indeed, in my size, 55cm, I consider it a sign that the bike is gonna handle great. Had a lugged Tesch 101 and a fillet-brazed Tesch OTTL (oversized top tube lugless). While very agile thru the turns, they both had the kind of stability, thanks to the generous trail, that would let you descend at 50 mph with one hand on the stem and the other behind your back for more aero benefit. You can do that with any good road bike, but it feels scary. With my Tesch bikes, it felt fine.
Others I've owned that I seriously miss include a sweet SL/SP Paramount, the custom heavy super rigid mostly Columbus SP Marinoni crit bike I owned when I was young and could really turn the pedals -- rode a triple century once on that stiff mother, and the 531 Crescent with Campy Record -- the original Record, before Nuovo and Super Record, let alone today's Record, that I bought in college, the bike that got me started racing when I started showing up for the local club's training rides and routinely spanked their best guys. Also the bike on which I rolled a front sewup in a crit and took out like 1/3 of the field and got suspended for awhile. Tip: Tubasti glue sucks.
The rest of them are pretty much a blur in my mind, other than a couple of lugged carbon ones on which the glue failed while riding.
Oh, I know another standout: Rigi, Italian. Super short chainstays, so short, instead of a seat tube, it had two small seat tubes side by side, kinda like the original AMP frame did for the down tube. The rear wheel fit between the two seat tubes. A Manly bike to ride. Great if you were smooth. Would try to do a U turn in its own length if you weren't. Great climber.
I had a swiss Mondia cyclocross bike in the 70s that was pretty hot; I invented mountain biking on it..
More down to earth, never rode a Bridgestone RB-1 I didn't like.
On the quirky side, owned a 17" wheel Alex Moulton, a hot road bike that could beat anybody in a stoplight to stoplight sprint, thanks to the 17" wheels.

whoops, had to use edit to come back and add another one I owned that was super special: 3(San)Rensho Katana, nicest jap bike I ever owned, or rode.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Ah, I had one of those Venturis, an amazingly light frame it was. Sold it ealier this year along with of my collection. Wasn't my size at all, or there would have been no letting it go. A beauty indeed. Ritcheys are obviously cool too, but between Yetis Road Project, the Cris Chance Slim Chance, and the others, I'd still take the taiwanese-made breezer over any of them. With one possible exception...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here is my Venturi that I repainted in the fall and had the pleasure of dealing directly with Joe Breeze to get a set of decals and masking. Joe even tossed in a few extra decals. The color is from a newer Ford Mustang Jalapeno Green. I ended up selling it but would not hesitate to pick one up again. -jy

Attachments

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
see! this is what I'm talking about! That green Venturi is a beaut, and the Road Goat...where's my tissue box?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
~martini~ said:
see! this is what I'm talking about! That green Venturi is a beaut, and the Road Goat...where's my tissue box?
1995 Breezer catalog. 19.9 lbs for a steel frame. Probably one of the first compact type road frames as described in the catalog copy.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ahhh the Venturi. I kick myself in the a#@ everytime I see one these posted. Sold mine!

I had one that I never got around to building up so I sold it. It's the only frame I regret selling in my 10+ years of bike building.

One thing to note, the geometry on the Venturis were odd. They had unsually long top tubes for the seat tube lengths. My seat tube was around a 53cm and the top tube was 57cm. Seemed like it was an early attempt at a compact frame or Joe just wanted riders to be super stretched out and crouched over. It was perfect for me because I have short legs and a log torso, so it was like a custom tailored fit.

Beautiful paint job on those. The blue was so sparkling and mezzzzzmerizing.

There were a couple of teams in the Bay Area that raced these back when I lived up there.

I was on Stanyan (SF's bike Mecca) and one of the old Breezer shops was telling me that it was a rumor that Joe may release a limited run of road bike and mountain bike frames in the future. It's nice to see Joe back in bike biz again and all for the good cause of making earth a cleaner place by promoting bike commuting.

It's nice to see the Breezer spearpoint paint scheme continue to live on via the Retrotec frames. Joe once joked to Curtis Inglis that Curtis owes him money for every frame he sold. Funny, because that means that Joe owes Ignaz Schwinn money for borrowing that paint scheme from the old Schwinn Excelsior!

Here is pic of Joe racing a Venturi at an Alley Cat Scramble race back in 2000 I think:

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's the wife's Ritchey RoadLogic. XT headset, Campy Veloce the rest of the way around. I bought the frame/fork for $200 back in 1999. It's probably the best deal I've found on any bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
~martini~ said:
Here's the wife's Ritchey RoadLogic. XT headset, Campy Veloce the rest of the way around. I bought the frame/fork for $200 back in 1999. It's probably the best deal I've found on any bike.
Very nice! Great color too. I really like Tom's s/s / seat binder. So simple and elegant.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
ssmike said:
For vintage, I like Masi bikes. Great looking frames! I ride my '80 GC as a fixie. Less vintage is my main road bike which is a '98 Chris Chance (hardly vintage really).

SSMike, I agree that the BreakAways are pretty sweet. I'd love to have one, but can't really justify or afford it.

Here's a pirated pic of me racing my Swiss Cross last fall. Other than a really weak rider, the bike does great!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
laffeaux said:
For vintage, I like Masi bikes. Great looking frames! I ride my '80 GC as a fixie.
100% agree! I had a '73 Carlsbad made GC that I bought "new" in '92. New as in the Clement del Mundos had never been glued on the rims (Martano?). I promply glued them on and put miles on the beauty. Sold it several years later for the same as I paid for it - the value has since risen dramatically.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
laffeaux said:
For vintage, I like Masi bikes. Great looking frames! I ride my '80 GC as a fixie. Less vintage is my main road bike which is a '98 Chris Chance (hardly vintage really).

SSMike, I agree that the BreakAways are pretty sweet. I'd love to have one, but can't really justify or afford it.

Here's a pirated pic of me racing my Swiss Cross last fall. Other than a really weak rider, the bike does great!
Hey that thing looks familiar! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts