Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this morning i went out for a short ride on my normal route that i do everyday, and by the way this will be short because i hate telling long stories, so it starts raining when i am there so i just deal with it and bike home the way i always go. And when i was biking a roadie came up behind me and passed me didn't say hi or even acknowlege me which really got me annoyed because everyone i see on the trail or on the road you always wave or say goodmorning or something but he just blew by me and soon was way infront of me. so sorry for my little roadie rant.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
dont let this upset you. in the roadie world it isnt cool to say hello especially if they consider you to be a "Fred." to get them back every time you see a roadie yell "hello fred!"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scoutcat said:
dont let this upset you. in the roadie world it isnt cool to say hello especially if they consider you to be a "Fred." to get them back every time you see a roadie yell "hello fred!"
whats a fred?!?!?!

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
HotBlack said:
Killer topic idea.
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

No doubt - this deserves a sticky! Please sticky this to the top of the forum!!!

So I just got off a road tour - with the 2 days of MTB invcluded, I ended up with about 500 miles in 8 days, 24,000 (plus) feet of climbing. 5 passes, 2 summits and a divide.

I think I said hi to maybe 150 people I passed the whole week.

Seeing as there were 2300 people out there on bikes... let's see.

2300 x 6 days on the roadie = 13,800 opportunities to say hi.

Acutally saying hi = 150

On the MTB - only saw about 10 people on the trail on day 1... said hi to all of them.
Day 2 - saw about 50 people on the trail, said hi to maybe 15 of them....
25 / 60 = 41.6

So on my roadbike, I am 99% *******, but on my MTB I am only 58% *******.

Hmmm - maybe roadies really do suck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
brendanbkr said:
whats a fred?!?!?!
fred n. 1) a person who spends a lot of money on his bike and clothing, but still can't ride. "What a fred -- too much Lycra and titanium and not enough skill." Synonym for poser. Occasionally called a "barney". 2) (from road riding) a person who has a mishmash of old gear, does't care at all about technology or fashion, didn't race or follow racing, etc. Often identified by chainring marks on white calf socks. Used by "serious" roadies to disparage utility cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable "freds" drop the "serious" roadies on hills because the "serious" guys were really posers. According to popular myth, "Fred" was a well-known grumpy old touring rider, who really was named Fred.

http://world.std.com/~Jimf/biking/slang.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ebineezer said:
fred n. 1) a person who spends a lot of money on his bike and clothing, but still can't ride. "What a fred -- too much Lycra and titanium and not enough skill." Synonym for poser. Occasionally called a "barney". 2) (from road riding) a person who has a mishmash of old gear, does't care at all about technology or fashion, didn't race or follow racing, etc. Often identified by chainring marks on white calf socks. Used by "serious" roadies to disparage utility cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable "freds" drop the "serious" roadies on hills because the "serious" guys were really posers. According to popular myth, "Fred" was a well-known grumpy old touring rider, who really was named Fred.

http://world.std.com/~Jimf/biking/slang.html
oh ok that makes sense. WHY DO THEY WERE SPANDEX ANYWAY!?!?!

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Sigh...

brendanbkr said:
oh ok that makes sense. WHY DO THEY WERE SPANDEX ANYWAY!?!?!
FOR THE SAME REASON FOOTBALL PLAYERS WERE (sic) PADS IN THEIR UNIFORMS!!!!!!!

It's the proper uniform for the sport. It's the same reason I wear spandex when I mountain bike and the reason I wear baggies when I pub crawl or ride socially.

Regarding the original post: Roadies "don't say hi" for a number of reasons. Many of them are the same reason I don't say hi on singletrack. Please don't take it personally.

Out of curiousity, do you wave to every driver you see when you're in your car? or at least to every driver who drives the same kind of car you drive? If not, why?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.