Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been riding my old and I mean old ridged trek 26er on days that have been bad for road biking. I have less than ten hours of mountain bike experience so my thoughts may be wrong. I am probably going to buy a Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL (MB) from bikes direct so as far as taking a test ride, well it I can't.

If it makes a difference I live in Northern Michigan and will be riding hilly single tracks that are hard packed dirt with some roots.

I am 5' 9.5" and with my feet 6 " apart my boys are 32" from the ground.

I have done some comparisons between the sizing chart below and my Road bike (RB), my old 26er (MB) and my hybrid (HB) as all three of these feel comfortable to me. The MB and HB could be stretched out a little but they also feel OK where they are.

This is what I have come up with.
Current Size RB 53cm MB 18 HB 17.5 MB 15 or 17
Top Tube RB 21 MB 22 HB 22
Stem RB 110 MB 80 HB 90
Stand over RB 31 MB 29.5 HB 29.5

The MB comes with a 100 cm stem.

The 15 and 17 MB both look close enough in all areas to work for me. In my mind the 15 seems like it is to small again I know nothing about 29ers and very little about mountain bikes in general. On the other hand the 31.7" stand over makes me a little nervous about the 17.

I have attached the MB geometry chart below. Please give me your suggestions and why. All the help I can get would be appreciated. Maybe give me examples of what your riding and why.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Agreed. Go with the 17" all the way.

From the numbers, it like your current mountain bike gives you a fairly up-right position. The new bike may stretch you out a bit more, but not horribly so.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The extra stretch would not be a problem My Road bike is a race fit with a 6" saddle to stem drop. I just want something that will have my weight distributed properly for a mountain bike which is where I am clueless.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Padre said:
You need the 17...at the very least.

Don't worry about stand-over, you won't be riding on the top tube, you'll be atop the saddle.
I have the same inseam and ordered the 15 - I hope its not too small.

I went by their chart.

My current MT bike has the same standover as the 15" Moto - so I should be ok - also the Moto has a longer top tube than my current bike which may spread me out slightly more.

A nearly 32" standover seemed too high and it does indeed matter when you need to hop off ths seat quick in a crash or emergency stop.

I guess this is the bane of buying online. I "have to" think that all bikes are not the same and we should go by the manf. chart especially for a 29er.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts