Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sitting here looking out the window at a Tim Hortons, enjoying the web when I see a roadie all decked out in team colors or something, going for it on this 40 degree day, when I see him totally blow through a red light at a very busy intersection on top of an interstate exit and on ramps. I couldn't believe it and neither could the state trooper that saw him too. Needless to say the trooper lit the candles, and pulled em over.
What a cocky roadie thinking he could blow a red like that. Glad he got nabbed, because it doesn't matter if you are on a bike or roller skates, red means stop.....for everyone. He could of very well caused an accident at this particular intersection.

·
2,015 Posts
Maybe he was gunning hard for that Strava KOM ;)

In all seriousness though, it would be stupid to run a red. I wouldn't risk my life for it.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Meh, I almost got center punched by a cage running a red light just the other day, bikes running red lights are low on my priorities scale.

·
No. Just No.
5,285 Posts
I don't even have a job!
When not engaged in heavy handed moderation on this web site, I oversee a large multinational with a market cap into the 10 digit range, where our sole line of business is pouches for carrying fire extinguishers while riding.

·
Registered
625 Posts
90% of my miles (sadly) are on the road. I *#$&ing hate how so many roadies play that double standard - piss and moan "I have every right to the road" "give me my 3 feet"... then blow red lights, pass stopped cars (along right side), ride 2-3 abreast at 15-20 mph (sure it's legal... but if they were driving in a 35 mph zone behind a car at 18 mph who made no effort to move over, they'd be pissed to).

Last year, I was on a large group ride. The A-group had split off - about 15 of us. We came to a fairly big intersection - turning lanes all 4 directions. The group rolled down the left turn lane, then blew the light. I stopped. I was the only *#&$ing rider to stop. I looked to my immediate right to a car with a couple in their 30s (?) with the windows down. They were looking at me blankly. I said "Roadies are such *******s." They burst out laughing.

Reactions: swampboy62

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Bicycles, with the operator's head (and eyes and ears) inches from the front of the vehicle and out in the open environment, should be able to treat red lights like stop signs and stop signs like yield signs, in my opinion.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Bicycles, with the operator's head (and eyes and ears) inches from the front of the vehicle and out in the open environment, should be able to treat red lights like stop signs and stop signs like yield signs, in my opinion.
Most states allow ^that^ - it's actually legal. I've never heard of a cop hassling a cyclist for treating a red light as a stop sign. "Blowing" a red light or stop sign is very different. So too is riding past a line of cars who are waiting at a red light or stop light. Motorists get nervous/hate passing cyclists - and these *#&@heads make them do it over and over. Just douchey

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
"Blowing" a red light or stop sign is very different. So too is riding past a line of cars who are waiting at a red light or stop light. Motorists get nervous/hate passing cyclists - and these *#&@heads make them do it over and over. Just douchey

Agree 100% about cyclists blowing through lights, it just gives some drivers added justification for their hate of bicycles on "their" roads. I don't understand your point about going past cars at red lights and stop signs though, I see nothing wrong with passing stopped cars on the right and can't really picture doing it any other way. One of the perks of bicycle commuting during rush hour is not having to wait through 3 red lights at an intersection.

·
Registered
625 Posts
...I see nothing wrong with passing stopped cars on the right and can't really picture doing it any other way. One of the perks of bicycle commuting during rush hour is not having to wait through 3 red lights at an intersection.
I think it can be situation-specific. Sometimes passing the line of cars helps the motorists and the cyclist - gets you out of their way, and your commute time is shorter, etc. But so often, it has ZERO impact on the cyclist's ride - he gains no time, but forces the row of cars to overtake him (or them) again.

If roadies/commuters would simply think about how their actions impact the motorist, so much of the car vs bike crap would disappear. I ride around 4,500 mile/year on the road. But I drive 15,000. When I'm riding, I still think like and of the motorists - how can I make their life easier, e.g. singling up, waving them by (ya know those drivers who you can tell are so nervous "Oh, look! He wants us to pass, whew").

Don't get me wrong - I'm no passive pro-motorist roadie. I've chased down many ******* drivers, and come embarrassing close to blows with several. I guess I have know I'm trying to be cool to them... I expect it back.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I can understand if you're on really narrow roads where you actually have to take a lane that it would be bad juju to try and squeeze by on the right at stops, or zinging between lanes to get through but the way I see it the right side of the road is my "lane". I don't get upset of fret when they pass me so there's no reason that they should when I do the same. I don't do any city commuting anymore but when I did I strived to coexist peacefully with traffic and managed to do so with very few altercations.

I'm just trying to imagine stopping on the right side with a half dozen care in front of me at a 4-way and inching up in cue. I've never seen anyone do that where I lived.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts