Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background
Wanted to buy a wheelset that I could swap between my gravel grinder and MTB. Found a decent deal on Stan's Valor carbon wheelset but now I'm confused about supported PSI's between tires and rims.

Details
The Stan's Valor wheelset has a maximum 38PSI rating on 2.1" tires.
stans-notubes-valor-carbon-tubeless-cyclocross-mtb-wheels-cxmagazine-img_0954-e-e_1.jpg

I was planning to mount my Maxxis Re-Fuse 29x40c tubeless tires which have a 50PSI minimum and 75PSI maximum tire pressure range.

Can I safely exceed the 38PSI Valor wheelset rating on a 40C tire?

I'm about 200lbs geared up if that matters.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Outward pull on the rim goes up with carcass width and pressure, so narrower tires can be run at higher pressures. I think it'd be OK, and likely would be running at closer to 50 psi with those tires anyway, which is what you'd get if you simply scaled 38psi at 2.1" to 40mm width. You could contact Stan's, though if it's something they haven't tested or considered in detail before, their likely answer would be no.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I agree with Lone Ranger. Contact Stans, but I would imagine you will be OK. I am about 180 geared up and run 40-45psi for gravel/asphalt on 40mm tires, lower if no asphalt. That's on a narrower (AmClassic 101) road rim though.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I contacted Stan's and got the green light from them. :thumbsup: They were not concerned with the setup as long as I'm not exceeding 60PSI or so on the ReFuse tires.

·
Magically Delicious
10,322 Posts
Good to hear you got the green light from Stan's.

I have a set of Arches with Panaracer 42C mounted tubeless. They can sometimes be a little finicky when doing a full mount, but once mounted, they work great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts