Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wanting to start planning a trip for next summer after seeing all your awesome photos and hearing your equally inspiring stories.My problem being every where looks good.

Im coming over from New Zealand with hopefully a couple of mates,I was going to just do Whistler this year but really want to do it properly and get out and see whats on offer.

So far the plan is to get a RV and go from there....we're wanting to go and hit up as many parks as possible
Just looking for suggestions on whats on offer if we were to fly into either LA or Vancover.It's possible we could fly into either one of those cities and fly out of the other:thumbsup:

·
ride the moment
1,062 Posts
You can actually skip LA cause it sucks. Maybe you could fly back out of Salt Lake City after ending your trip in Moab? Or start there and head towards Whistler. California is pretty cool but I wouldn't recommend going south of Santa Cruz. San Francisco is awesome if you're looking to party for a night or two. Oregon has really sick riding. A couple people just planned trips through Oregon and the threads are up in the Oregon board if you want to check them out. Good luck planning, at some point I want to make a trip to your island and have a ride or two... or 30.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers,thats the sort of info I was hoping for.
I mentioned LA as it is a main point for arrival or departure but come to think of it they are doing direct flights to San Fran now so thats an option.
From memory Ive been doing a bit of reading about a mountain bike park in or near Tahoe,I dont really know if it s actually possible to get around to alot of these places as I cant relate to the size of your country/distances.
I'll just have to keep digging,Ive got a year;)

·
ride the moment
1,062 Posts
Well heres and idea,

San Francisco to Portland, OR: 1100 km

Portland OR to Whistler : 700 km

and on second glance Moab is way out of the way. I knew it was far from us in OR but its really far from NorCal as well. A tour from Whistler down to Santa Cruz would be pretty incredible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at 3 months,thats the maximum we can come over as visitors,driving isnt really a problem as we dont plan on riding every day.Maybe up two days driving between places.
Mid to late summer

·
ride the moment
1,062 Posts
Well thats certainly a good amount of time. What kind of riding... variety? Since you've got so much time to plan, I'll just say that you should definitely plan to spend a few days in Oakridge, OR. There are hundreds of miles of prime trails. Also, the North Umpqua Trail won "trail of the year" from whoever rates that stuff. The Oregon board is usually pretty helpful with trip advice. Later on...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.