Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from the best 2 week mountain biking road trip of my life and not happy to be back. ;) Started in Park City, then Moab, then all over SW Colorado where I found the best high-country / back-country riding, which for me means pretty much the best overall riding, I've ever done. The original plan was to head to Idaho since I've never ridden their before, then b/c of air quality switched to Northern CO, then switched to SW CO because the weather & air looked the best in that area. This turned out to be a good decision.

I've ridden Park City many times and have been to Moab before, and I have ridden in the Durango / Cortez area several times before. On my past trips, because they were not dedicated riding trips, I mostly rode really close to Durango / Cortez area and was not able to fully get up to the best stuff in the more remote high country. Park City and Moab are cute and all, you could even call them adorable, and of course Durango is fun. Even with perfect dirt, Cortez is probably a skip for me unless you want something very beginner friendly. But holy hell, I was not fully prepared for the pure bliss of Silverton / Rico / Telluride / etc. stuff!

I am fully aware that I was strongly biased by the fact I got daily free refills with quick late afternoon / evening storms most days (including Moab), the weather and air was smoke-free and perfect, the trails were pretty much empty except for a few folks riding at Telluride Bike Park, which in my opinion can be skipped unless your legs are just completely hammered from days of brutal steep climbing at 8-13k elevation and you just want a lift to take you up to some ok bike park trails. It was also of course so refreshing to be completely disconnected from the world right now with no internet or cel coverage and not even hear the words Covid or Coronavirus for days.

I went back and forth as to whether or not to bring an Ebike to ride on rest \ recovery days, but ultimately decided to just keep it simple and roll with just my Ripmo mostly because I didn't want to deal with recharging batteries and securing the bike I wasn't riding. This was the right move. I rode every day (including park day) and while I definitely did some serious suffering especially pedaling steep pitches at 12-13K altitude, I found that after I acclimated I just got stronger every day and didn't need to really take any days off. I think it would have been a hassle to have another bike and glad I kept it simple.

As much riding as I did, I still feel like I left a lot of meat on the bone and will be back for more! Unfortunately, I noticed the air started to turn a bit right when I left and the storms stopped coming, so not sure if the golden window is closed for a while, but I was grateful for the run I was fortunate enough to have!

Some approx stats from the 2 week trip:
Miles driven: 2.5K
Miles ridden: 300
Footies climbed: 33K
Footies descended: 52K (thanks shuttles, gondolas and lifts!)
Flat tires: 4 (2 in 1 hour on Whole Enchilada)
Broken spokes: 2
Brakes ruined: 2 (anybody want to buy some slightly used brakes?)
Pounds of peanut butter mud cleaned off from bombing from Hazard into Kokopelli trail after rain storm: 50
F#cks given: 0

Some Pics:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were you accompanied by Troy on this trip?
Sounds like a good time, post some pictures.

With rain on its way further north, BC (and PNW) is calling my name.
Yep I was with Troy he is riding in a couple of the pics on the gallery I thought I embedded in the post. This is the 1st time I have used embed galley because it was too hard to choose just a couple pics! - are the pics not showing up?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Yep I was with Troy he is riding in a couple of the pics on the gallery I thought I embedded in the post. This is the 1st time I have used embed galley because it was too hard to choose just a couple pics! - are the pics not showing up?
Ah, now that I can see the pics the trip looks mediocre at best. Should have went to Phoenix, I heard it's beautiful this time of year. Lol

Nice van. I'm currently looking for a used Transit I can build out a bit to make road trips and camping more enjoyable and accessible.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great photos!

Can you share some trail recommendations for the high-alpine riding?

Thanks!
Sure here is a list of some of my favorites near Silverton / Telluride - fairly easy to find and navigate but I'm not listing all the climb / traverse trails that you would potentially need to ride to get to these trails:

Engineer Mountain
Engine Creek
Coal Creek
Deer Creek
Dutch Creek
Jones Creek
Cascade Creek (West)
Blackhawk Mountain
Salt Creek
Magic Meadow
Sunshine

For the views / scenery:
Molas Pass
Wasatch
Bear Creek
Bridal Veil
(I would probably skip Hermosa Creek for the riding even though it is very long and scenery is amazing )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Good stuff. You got out just in time, smoke has moved in the last couple days big time.

I don't see Calico on that list. It's on the west side above Rico. Moto trail but rides great on MTB. Check it out next time.

And I agree on skipping Hermosa. Most overrated trail in CO IMO.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What were the flies like on the uphill grinds in the San Juans?

Some years they're bad enough to keep me off the trails entirely.
Maybe I got lucky but flies / bugs were not an issue at all in the San Juans - not sure if this had anything to do with the fact that it stormed pretty much every late afternoon / evening?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for f#cking up the trail and giving no f#cks about it.
I guess you've never ridden this trail before and don't realize there are motos / ATVs / Razors all over this particular area. The entire trail from top to bottom was in perfect condition except for one wide open flat fire road section that intersects with a major road where there was a huge mud bog that was already an absolute mess, so amount of singletrack f#cked up = 0, but thanks for your concern

·
This place needs an enema
17,682 Posts
I guess you've never ridden this trail before and don't realize there are motos / ATVs / Razors all over this particular area. The entire trail from top to bottom was in perfect condition except for one wide open flat fire road section that intersects with a major road where there was a huge mud bog that was already an absolute mess, so amount of singletrack f#cked up = 0, but thanks for your concern
I've been riding there for over 30 years.

How does the fact that there are others out there f#cking things up make it ok for you to do the same?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.