Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... I and a friend are planing a road trip for next year.. we are going to start in NYC and the idea is make something like 1000-1500mi.
Any sugestions in where to go , what kind of bike set-up we need or anything that we should know .

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiggy©®™ said:
Are you driving or riding?
How much time do you have?
What do you want to do on the trip?
Only riding..
A month .
Have a new adventure and get to see something diferent .

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
Don't forget

VIA said:
Hi... I and a friend are planing a road trip for next year.. we are going to start in NYC and the idea is make something like 1000-1500mi.
Any sugestions in where to go , what kind of bike set-up we need or anything that we should know .

Thanks.
The essentials, becasue they can quickly become assentials...
Use comfy seats that have gel pads, use tubes not tubeless, either mech brakes or V-brakes, oil may cause trouble, but thats more an opinion, take along rash creams, thin wind-breakers coz they cut the wind and add very light weight (I use one that weights 4 ounces) and inverts into a pouch-like package around your waist. Mosquito repellant, ringworm cream, etc. wierd stuff sometimes happens in an alien area, its happened to me so you want to be careful. Get the latest vaccinations against flu, etc (if there are any) becasue soming down w/ something is sure to wreck your trip. Avoid the highways and faster roads, use niterider lighting systems with mini-generators, I can go on but there are some sites dedicated to this stuff. BTW, you can also check out their routes to see where these groups go to since they always brag about such scenic, easy rides...One thing I remember from the Chicago-Alaska trp we took (by van) in '94 is that AVOID the big cities, and stock up in towns, the prices are cheaper, it is much safer, motels are better and cheaper, but the only drawback for you guys might be the need for parts, etc you need for your bikes. One other thing, try to have someone you can communicate to directly if emergencies occur, and always update [them] on a day to day basis, so they know where you are if anything happens.

For nutrition...Eat more carbs in the morning and light proteins (that digest faster and increase metabolic rate) such as fish or eggs. Increase the vitamin intake, lots of fluids, never ignore at least a bottle of Gatorade or other hydrating fluid that includes essential minerals or otherwise you can have serious trouble. I don't know what the heck its called but Sports Afeild had an article on it 2 years ago and I had had the symptoms about 2 weeks before i read the article. You get dizzy, lose sense of direction, your vision gets eally shaky and you feel you're gonna throw up and it really disorients you, all for lack of electrolytes like potassium and sodium etc...eat some heavier protein like chicken and/or beef and complex carbs at night like pasta and leafy greens, fibrous stuff like carrots and prunes...ok I'll stop...man I need a cross-country trip bad... ;)

Oh yeah one more thing......oh screw it...just ignore all this and have loads of fun and tough it out like a real biker. YEAH!!! :D :D

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for all the info..
One more.. what's the best set-up for the bike...
Frame , fork , tires FS or HT , ect ect.
Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.