Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
singletrack bound
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a Saturday to Saturday road trip (car camping) with the destination being Oakridge Or. with both Saturdays being travel days.

A couple of thoughts here.....Coming from the south with two cars and three people, maybe four.
North up 5 to Roseburg and do two days of NUT, then trek into Oakridge for a couple days, then up to Waldo for a couple then back south down 97....?

Or the other way.... First up 97 to Waldo...Oakridge....NUT then south outta town.
Or should we skip either NUT or Waldo and just do two stops?
We have been to Oakridge and have done Alpine a number of times....Middle Fork, which we must to do again as a shuttle instead of an out and back from Butcherknife.( not complaining,that was a great ride! would like to get up higher.) Salmon Creek Trail...(Stayed at the campground.)

Would like to get Tire Mtn and Windberry this time along with maybe Larison or Bunchgrass....Missed Waldo last year as mid Oct saw some early rain and snow at elevation so We would like to do at least one day ride up there.

We are on a SS miSSion!

Tone.

?????

August 16 through the 23rd.

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
Tone No Balone said:
Or should we skip either NUT or Waldo and just do two stops?
This is the only question you asked in which case the answer is "No".

Don't think it matters which way you go but personally, I'd want to finish camping at Waldo. B-E-A-Utiful!

BTW, MBO happens Aug 15-17, just saying because there's gonna be a lot of mtbers around the Oakridge trails that weekend.

Caz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Personally if you have been to Oakridge a few times I would eliminate that stop. I think the NUT is the best trail around so it really should be at the top of any riders list, it was trail of the year for a reason. Waldo Lake is also excellent. Here is an idea without looking at a map, come North get to Roseburg and go East to NUT ride a few days there. Continue on the Hwy. to Diamnond Lake and go north to Waldo Lake. Spend a few days here...there really great riding up there especcially that time of year. Rides like Waldo, Windy Lakes and others in that area I really like becuase there is an abundence of trails and many can be done in loops with epic long 20-40 mile rides. Also Metolius-Windigo Trail #99 is excellent which would be good to ride and that starts right of the highway but would be an in/out or loop with repeat riding depending on trail selection. After riding Waldo Lake area, continue North to Santiam Junction and proceed on to Hwy 126 and ride McKen. River. Oakridge is so close to Eugene (Compared to Waldo Area or NUT) that after riding McKen. you could head to Oakridge the next day and still easily get number of rides in, Larison Creek, Larrison Rock and Lower Bunchgrass could be done in a one day. Another option after McKen. is to ride a few tails closer to Eugene, Fall Creek, S. Will. Goodman, Eula, Hardesty, etc. are all with 30-40 minutes of Eugene.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Do not skip the NUT! See Sasquatch's threads X-tra Nutty and NUT part Deaux.

We camped at Eagle Rock campground, 1/2 mile up from where the NUT crosses Hwy. 138. Breaks it up perfectly. If you're going here first, then to Oakridge/Waldo, I'd do the bottom half first, and the top half second so you'll be closer to Diamond Drive to get to Oakridge.

You have two cars, so you can self-shuttle, but it's a pain after a long day in the saddle, when you'd just rather be back at camp drinking beer. Brian from the Dry Creek Store (the only store between Idyllwild and Lemolo Lake) can help you out. On the day we did the upper half, he shuttled us and our bikes. One the day we did the lower half we left from the campground and he shuttled our car to the bottom. No muss, no fuss, worked out great.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
The NUT is a b i t c h i n' trail for sure. A must do.

An Alpine/Tire/Winberry connected ride is most choice as well. It's a long/PITA shuttle, but so much more lovely than 'puffin back up the gravel road. Anyway, enjoy.

Brock...

·
singletrack bound
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cazloco said:
This is the only question you asked in which case the answer is "No".

Don't think it matters which way you go but personally, I'd want to finish camping at Waldo. B-E-A-Utiful!

BTW, MBO happens Aug 15-17, just saying because there's gonna be a lot of mtbers around the Oakridge trails that weekend.

Caz
Caz....I realize MBO is happening and thats why I thought doing NUT or Waldo first would avoid the masses....I know we will see some MTB'er's say @ waldo but after sunday things should thin out and Alpine/Middlefork would be considered.
I really want to get to NUT though. I'm thinking, trying to hit the three spots might be a bit much with car camping( pack, un pack)
Mckenzie? dam....not enough time.......

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Jakkarro said:
Larison Creek, Larrison Rock and Lower Bunchgrass could be done in a one day.
Great advice, but I'd throw in the Middle Fork as well. :rolleyes:
The sun doesn't set until after 8pm, so you'll have plenty of time.;)

·
singletrack bound
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sasquatch said:
Great advice, but I'd throw in the Middle Fork as well. :rolleyes:
The sun doesn't set until after 8pm, so you'll have plenty of time.;)
OK that's two days in Oakridge without doing Alpine......
This year Waldo is a must!
can I squeeze in the NUT?
:cool:

·
ride the moment
1,062 Posts
Waldo is a relatively tame ride. I think it would make a nice finish to the week. beautiful scenery and after a few days in Oakridge you might not want to climb... or maybe you will I'm just saying its nice campgrounds and nice scenery and even if you're sore you can make it around the lake.

Not to hijack but I'm really trying to work out the NUT this summer. Thanks for the info on the shuttle Albee. Is the trail hard to navigate? I would almost certainly be going with people who have never ridden it. The earlier threads made me drool. Hope you guys have a great trip!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Dogbrain said:
Thanks for the info on the shuttle Albee. Is the trail hard to navigate?
If, by that, you mean "is the trail hard to follow in any places?" then the answer is...not really. It's pretty straightforward. The only things I remember that weren't straight across are, first, where the trail crosses Hwy. 138. You go left, cross the bridge, and go right on that gravel road .2 mile at the most, and the trail continues. Then, on the Tioga Section, a little more than halfway through, the trail turns to road for awhile (a mile at the most, probably way less). When the road gets out in the open and forks, you veer right but you see the trail sign pretty instantly from there.

There was a thread recently about the Tioga section being closed at some point to put in a bridge over the river and create trail access at Susan Creek. Check out the threads and/or call the FS office to confirm dates.

Tone, if you feel that the miSSionary position is your favorite, maybe Caz and Sparty can chime in. They both rode their singles. I have a rigid single 29er, but, with all those short-but-brutal climbs, I'm glad I brought the gearie. Food for thought...

Have fun!

Albee

·
singletrack bound
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Albee...your talkin the NUT? SS?
going down river I suppose your sayin lot's "O" ups?

Dogbrain.....I'm kinda thinking the same....Waldo at the end of the week....
Camp- cruz around the lake
Photo op's!
Then bust a sack down 97 south
over and out!

·
Registered
155 Posts
The road section in the middle of Tioga is now closed. Scheduled completion is Sept. 1. Either end of Tioga remains open. They're doing prep work for the bridge which is to be constructed next year.

The other tricky spot on the trail is at the Hot Springs Trailhead where the bridge has been removed and awaiting replacement. Just follow the river downstream to the log with the platform.

·
ride the moment
1,062 Posts
Right on! Thats exactly what I meant Albee. I guess I should have said "I have no sense of direction, am I going to get lost at the road crossings?" Thanks for the infor, ands thanks to mwpeterson for the info on Tioga. Enjoy your trip Tone!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Waldo has multiple epic choices and easily could take up three Full days. Twins, Maiden, Fugi tied w/ trips around the lake. Of course they could all be done in one day. What a great idea! Any takers?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.