Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had plans to go up to kirkwood next week and ive been holding out hope that the aqi would go down but its not looking like that is going to happen. Back up plan is to head up towards oregon and washington, aqi isnt all that much better for the most part, but it seems like the spots ive listed arent as bad.

Anyways im looking for recommendations for rides. i'll have two bikes with me; a 160mm enduro bike that i have no problem climbing 8k feet in a day on, and a 120mm trail/downcountry (ew) bike that i like using for more undulating rides. we have no set itinerary, and i have no problem driving a bit further for some sick trails, and id definitely like to get some 5-6 hour rides in. non-shuttle is preferred but i'll probably shuttle in ashland. I don't really like flow trails. Would be interested in some backcountry-ish missions but whatever you guys think, let me know! thanks

also before someone asks "why not ask this in the oregon/washington threads" i figure you guys ride similar enough trails to me (mostly marin poaches) that youd be able to recommend some similar stuff

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
Just getting back in from 4 days out and was trying to find clean air myself. A lot of staring at AirNow.gov and a difference of a couple of miles can make a big difference in east/west air quality. With that it looks like you're going to want to stay on the west side of the Cascades as much as possible. I rode Osborne, Noble Nob, Sun top and Palisades which all more or less meet your criteria. Osborne being one of the more gorgeous adventure type rides out of them. Ape Canyon to Smith Creek on St Helens is killer too if you haven't done it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
F*** it
1,273 Posts
The climb to the top of Ashland Mtn. is pretty mellow (although it is 4K), then there are two basic descents (Trailforks). There are other options if you can hook up with a local. Post Canyon at Hood River is excellent, Sandy Ridge is smaller but fun, and if you want a little more adventure do the Epic loop at Mount St. Helens. Oakridge is pretty fun if you've never done it before. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The climb to the top of Ashland Mtn. is pretty mellow, then there are two basic descents (Trailforks). There are other options if you can hook up with a local. Post Canyon at Hood River is excellent, Sandy Ridge is smaller but fun, and if you want a little more adventure do the Epic loop at Mount St. Helens. Oakridge is pretty fun if you've never done it before. Good luck!
I checked oakridge and its looking pretty smokey but im hoping it clears up, heard its unreal.

Looks like the air might start to clear up tomorrow in the Tahoe area, so might be worth keeping an eye on that. But the Caldor fire might keep things rather ugly for awhile :( Caldor Fire Information - InciWeb the Incident Information System
Im not going to get my hopes up haha. Dixie seems like its not going to let up for quite some time, i'll be lucky to get a downieville trip in this year

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,663 Posts
With the threat of smoke, I would just book a shuttle while in Ashland. There is a reason so many people shuttle over pedal. You will still get some climbing in, for sure with the shuttle, and if you are feeling frisky, you can ride Time Warp, then pedal up to Bull Gap and ride Lynx. If not, 2060 Road to upper Bull Gap Road is the route to Mount A. I like the ride from White Rabbit Parking Lot, 2060 Road, Bull Gap, Lynx, Catwalk, Lizard, Jabberwokky, Gills, for pedaling days.

There are some fun pedaling trails up off OR-140 between Medford and Klamath Falls that are fun to ride, too. That is all the Cascades and is pretty awesome to see at least once.

I'm also a fan of Alsea Falls and Black Rock in the Corvallis, OR region.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,559 Posts
Lots of trail closures in Oakridge, lots of smoke. Alpine is closed, Heckletooth is (literally) on fire, Hardesty is closed, Eula is closed, ... Lawler is open, but again lots of smoke. Middle Fork is likely open, Grasshopper maybe. Not a good time to hit OROR.

The best parts of the McKensie River Trail are closed due to fire.

If you want to do 5-6 hours of rad Oregon riding. Olallie, O'Leary, King Castle is epic and I think open, though maybe pretty smokey.

The link says "Out and back", but I suggest you either park at the bottom of King Castle and pedal to the trail head on surface roads or contact Horse Creek Lodge and get on a shuttle. As a loop using the roads to get to the trailhead it's a punishing 35 miles or so but awesome. Shuttled they take you up higher than what's shown on this write up.

Black Rock is amazing if you like big air and built up stunts. There was some extensive storm damage last winter so hard to say what it looks like now, but prior to the storm you could go about as big as you want to go.

There is a lot of good riding near Lake Waldo, likely a fair bit of smoke, but probably about as good as you will get. My favorite look out there is Waldo Twins, but lots of miles to explore.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just got back from a trip up there. We went to Bend, Hood River and Issaquah.
The riding I did in Bend was not like fun Marin trails although I did one good ride. I wouldn’t go there for the riding unless you like endless flat trails ugh. The Redmond oregon paved pump track is rad though.
Post Canyon was fun but more just flow than natural trails.
Issaquah was really nice and there was no smoke while we were there. They weren’t backcountry epics but riding at Tiger Mountain and Raging River was amazon. Also the climate is wetter so it was nice to see some green stuff. The trails were a bit flowy but with some chunky features. And all legal (the trails i did at least).
Duthie in Issaquah was great for me as a newer rider just to work on drops and jumps a little. Good place to ride with kids.
Ashland was smoked out so we didn’t go.
I wanted to ride near mt St. Helens but I was with my family so couldn’t do an all day ride.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ended up postponing trip entirely, have to get a root canal on wednesday :| so wouldnt have the time to get out there and back to marin. But on the bright side at least it will be good fall conditions when we reschedule. And my downieville campsite just got refunded for labor day so may head up to ashland then.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright digging this thread up. New plan, heading up this sunday night, riding in ashland monday morning before heading up to portland for a few days. Going to hit oakridge on the way back (saturday/sunday), but im looking for recommendations on cool riding spots 20-30-40mins from portland that i could ride for a few hours in the mornings. I know from friends that the stuff in town is all lame or illegal to ride, so i'm planning on hood river at least, but i'm good with some driving every day while my gf hangs with her sister.

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
Sandy Ridge for sure
Timberline to town
If you head West Wilson River drains really well as does Gales Creek.
Cold Creek
The stuff on 44's should be absolutely primo. High prairie down through Oak Ridge is a great ride but you would need somebody to shuttle.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Post canyon was fun especially if you like to jump.
I thought the riding around Issaquah was way better if you can get up there. Raging River, tiger mountain and duthie was good for me since I’m learning how to do jumps.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Make sure you book your shuttle. I saw it was about full for the Monday 10am
i'll prob just climb up to time warp myself or have gf drop me off lol, but thanks for the heads up.

I should also mention im planning on bringing a short-travel trail bike and a big enduro bike, so i can do different types of terrain if needed.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Definitely shuttle (self or book) in Ashland. I climbed from Lithia to top of Caterpillar / Lizard / Jabberwocky on my Strive and it was long and tiring, getting to the top of Time Warp (which is an absolute must do) would be an all day affair and absolutely destroy your legs most likely.

I would also say hit Post Canyon for sure. Yes there is a heavy focus on "jumps" on the mainline, but watch BKXCs video where they did Dirt Surfer, Borderline, Blade Runner into Mitchell Ridge. Mostly intermediate flow/enduro type features for a full run down the mtn. Also, almost all trails even with jumps have ride arounds or ride overs (not true gaps but roller gaps). I still think Three Blind Mice is the best intermediate jumpline for progression I have ever ridden.

I personally loved the Dirt surfer to Bordeline to Mitchell Ridge, but to me the best line was Dirt Surfer, Hidden, small backtrack to Three Blind Mice, ride around, over, and jump what you can on, Chorus / FMX into BMS, Grand Prix, Spaghetti, Sister Wife to Kleeway. Coming from California, you will be stunned by what you see and it will open your eyes to just how good trails can be!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.