Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Road Training

2K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  kosmo 
Wasatch,

I am sure different things work for different folks. IMO you do what feels right for you and will help you get what YOU want out of racing. For some folks that's Powertaps, intervals and what not on a road bike. For others it's just riding. Lots. Whether it's trail, road, rail trail, rollers, trainer, whatever. For me, I just aim to finish, get a better time than last year (maybe), and earn some beer calories. So I just ride (wherever and whenever I can. If I want to ride my MTB on the road I will, cause it's time in the saddle. Call it "junk miles" if you want. I call it spending time in the saddle and for me and what I want out of racing. That's plenty. That's not to say I don't envy/respect the commitment and focus of the folks out there with coaches, high zoot computer read outs, etc., But that's not me.

Ride a bike. Have fun. The two most important rules in cycling.

Riding on the road is great to get in long miles, etc.,, but not a love of mine by any means. More of a "necessary evil." I have a great road bike, but truth be told, I have not been on it (except on the trainer) since July or August.

But I HAVE put a TON of mile on my Mamasita this year, on the road, and it was great. I used to HATE riding a mountain bike on the road, but with a 29er, I feel much more at ease. Now if you want to do group rides you might wish you had a road bike for sure (although there are some studs that can surely keep up). But I ride 98% of the time on my own, so who cares?

Put slicks on the mountain bike if you want, or ride full knobbies and UP the work out. I like to ride some big ass local loops that have everything from rail trails, to ghetto single track to smooth roads. The mtb works just fine. Granted I place mid to back of the pack, but it still keeps me fit, and for what it's worth a friend of mine (who won the NUE single speed overall this year) did almost ALL of his bike training on a single speed 29er. On road and off.

In the end I say this- "road bike, shmoad bike, ride what you got." As long as your're riding, you're training. Good luck and have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.