Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
plus one for pp's

I have used a few tires for the commuting purpose on my 29, marathon plus, brough cx (armadillo and dual compound), pasela's, so far i give my vote to the panaracers they roll great, are not to heavy and have worn well. my dream tire for the use is a jackie brown made by panaracer for rivendell, but i am a poor shop rat and have just now found a place to get them at cost, so untill the paselas wear out that is what i am on.
roll right
roll call

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
For real road riding with no chance of dirt, I prefer something smooth, round and relatively (32c) narrow. Michelin Dynamic is cheap ($15), smooth, round, relatively light (~350g), fat (like most companies' 700x35s) and fast. Basically the fattest true road slick I know of.

If you want a semislick with a truly slick center tread, but some side knobs to handle mild dirt excursions, the Kenda K847 is still pretty fast, capable offroad, and ridiculously cheap when it goes on sale. Speedgoat stocks them, and Nashbar has insane deals on it from time to time.

Kenda Kwick Roller series (Holiday and EZ-Ride) are also reasonably priced and fast, and available in sizes up to 700x45 if you so desire.

If you want to go fast you may want to avoid "puncture resistant" tires. I've found kevlar belted tires to have a lot of rolling resistance, especially those from Specialized and Michelin. If you're worried about glass debris, IMO you'll roll much faster with a thick center tread as on the Kenda examples I listed, and flats will still be very rare.

Never been impressed by the Paselas' grip on pavement personally, and they run VERY small for their stated size. I have a "700x28" Pasela that is smaller than some 700x23s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.