Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time on a bike in 15 years so forgive my ignorance here. I got a Trek 820 to see if I stick with it and try to get back in shape. Figure I'll upgrade if I become addicted. Question is, since I'm a ways off from trail use I'd like to throw some road friendly tires on it. What size/type tire should I look at? How skinny can I go on the stock wheels? Recommendations?

·
Registered
239 Posts
schwalbe kojak
schwalbe marathon supreme

kojak is cheaper and a full slick.
supreme has more grip and got a lot more puncture resistance due to the vectran breaker.
i use the supreme in 26x 2.0" sind 4000km without a flat. never let me down!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Halo Twin rail..

Do double duty.. Universal cycles.. $30 a piece.

As big (2.2) as a knobby tire (w/o the big lugs), but with twin rails to make them roll fast on the road. Pressures from 35 lbs. to 65 lbs. so you can dial 'em in according to the conditions. IMO, maybe the perfect X/C all around tire. A little squirelly in the soft stuff, but very good on hardpack and road surfaces. Easy peddling as well, and lighter than the Kenda knobbies they replaced even with a steel bead. Puncture protection included.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Try the Geax Street Runners. They're really cheap (around $16 each), not too terribly heavy for a wire bead tire, fast and very puncture resistant. They also seem to last a good long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.