Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm mainlyon my mtb, this is the first time I've needed to replace my road tires. I was wondering what the main difference between a 700x25c, 23c, etc would be. My bike has 25c now, but I'm obviously not 100% sure what I need to replace it with. Is a 23c fine? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Width....

DaMtnRider said:
Since I'm mainlyon my mtb, this is the first time I've needed to replace my road tires. I was wondering what the main difference between a 700x25c, 23c, etc would be. My bike has 25c now, but I'm obviously not 100% sure what I need to replace it with. Is a 23c fine? Thanks for any info.
The 23c will be slightly narrower than the 25. 23 will work fine.

·
Ride More
79 Posts
DaMtnRider said:
I have been using the Michlen carbon tires with the yellow ring around the outside. They go for about 30 bucks a tire at Jenson and Pricepoint. They have been lasting me 2500-3000 miles with alot less flats than my previous tires.
Andrew

Edit....forgot to mention I use 23's.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I used to just be roadie. Back in those daze I road 19c and 23c tires.

Now that I am mtn biker and sometimes ride road, I find the smaller 19 and 23 tires too harsh.

If like to have a bit of cush, I would stick with the 25c or see if a 28c will fit.

Nowadays I run Continental Touring 2000 28c tires and have found that I enjoy my road bike more.

It's common for roadies to train with a fatter tire and then slap on the thinner ones on days were it counts.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
I ride 23c tires and find them fine and wouldn't bother with something bigger. I also ride a Ellsworth Truth with big fat tires, and don't really find the 23c to be harsh. Afterall the difference between a road bike and dual suspension is so big that the tires IMHO don't play a big role - The frames of a road bike can be quite harsh themselves.

·
Registered
17,146 Posts
DaMtnRider said:
How's your local pavement? If it's bumpy chip-n-seal, then you might prefer the 25, but if it's smooth, the 23 will be fine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Going to give the 23c a try. If it rides a little harsher, it gives me an excuse for the better wheels and seat post I've been wanting :)

Thanks for the great info as always!

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
for me

DaMtnRider said:
I like hoiw the 23c's roll in comparison to a 25 or 28c. The 25s and 28s feel sluggish to me. The 23c's dont ride that harsh but if you whack a pothole, utility cover or debris your going to feel it. Other wise if you keep a good pace youll float/roll over most stuff. Im on the conti 3000's most of the time and also use the panaracer tserv for massenger too.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
DaMtnRider said:
The difference is the size. 23c, 25c etc refers to the tires width in mm. 23mm, 25mm etc. 23c is usually just fine for road riding and is the most common size. It seems very rare to see people using anything smaller since the smaller sizes will just tend to skip around a lot more and be harsher on anything but the abolute smoothest of roads. Anything above 25mm is really somewhat unecessary for a road bike unless the roads you ride are more unpaved trails rather than actual roads. Stick to 23 to 25c. 23c will give you the most variety and that should be fine for most situations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.