Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone here use road shoes on their mtn bikes? i just put cleats on my road shoes(specialized s-works road) that will work on my commuter and mtn bikes,since i switched to egg beaters on every bike i own, and a thinking ill use them in a few races, i think ive seen a few pro do this havent i?

should save some rotating weight on the feet.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Curmy said:
Can you track stand with a freewheel? I can stand on my fixie, but never was able to do that with my mountain bike.
With a little practice it's easy....especially if there is a crown built into the road to let you roll forward/backward.

Some people have told me it's a useless skill, but I find it helpful on the trails and with balance.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
934 Posts
yeah, I agree with the general sentiment here that road shoes aren't the best for mtn but it depends on your own preference and use.

I often walk around town in mtn shoes and road shoes generally are too slippery. I like mtn shoes with a lot of rubbery treads for traction if I dismount.

It does seem like the ultra high end mtn shoes approach road shoe design. I can't stand my sidi dominators - I've nearly fallen on my a$$ a number of times on wet surfaces and slip off my pedals often due to their plasticy soles.

·
Registered
321 Posts
civil said:
Some people have told me it's a useless skill, but I find it helpful on the trails and with balance.:thumbsup:
Totally disagree that it's a useless skill, but maybe that's just because I can do it. Having low speed stability skills have come in handy more times than I can recall. Sure, sure, if I was going faster it wouldn't be a problem, blah, blah, blah... ;)

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LWright said:
When mountain biking you will have to walk or even "hike a bike" at some point, your rode shoes will not make that a good experience. Spend enough you can get light Mt Bike shoes, right?
ive got nice carbon mtn shoes too that i normally ride in(ive got 4-5 pairs?) But im talking racing here, ive never had to do too much hiking during races.

·
Registered
186 Posts
One of the guys I used to ride with used road shoes with some old MTB tire glued to the bottom for grip.
Worked fine for him but he did it because he was too cheap/broke to buy MTB shoes, not because they were lighter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Slobberdoggy said:
yeah, I agree with the general sentiment here that road shoes aren't the best for mtn but it depends on your own preference and use.

I often walk around town in mtn shoes and road shoes generally are too slippery. I like mtn shoes with a lot of rubbery treads for traction if I dismount.

It does seem like the ultra high end mtn shoes approach road shoe design. I can't stand my sidi dominators - I've nearly fallen on my a$$ a number of times on wet surfaces and slip off my pedals often due to their plasticy soles.
Of course. But here in Norway, and specially marathon, there are severall races there are no need for "hike a bike". But like I said, I have the DMT Watts for the difficult trails :) Wouldn't recommend to have just a pair of road shoes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.