Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my Cervelo R3. Looking for a bike that can do it all, with a bias of more road/rough road, some gravel, and very little singletrack. The two bikes I'm considering are the new Santa Cruz Stigmata or Ibis Hakka, both in Sram Rival 1x builds. Unfortunately, I can't pre-ride/demo either as neither are in stock in my size, largest of both at 6'4".

What are the pros/cons between each of these?

·
4,462 Posts
These are both CX bikes no? I'd think that you'd be better served by something with more of a gravel lean. Longer wheelbase, slacker head angle and a taller head tube.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They are both excelent looking gravel bikes, according to their respective brand website the Ibis Hakka MX and the Stigmata will both clear a 27,5 x 2.1 but the Hakka will clear a 40c max on 700c and the Stigmata will clear a 45c max on 700c wheels. So given tire clearence and looks I'd go with the Santa Cruz, but geometry should be very important, compare both geometries and see which one fits you better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sold my Cervelo R3. Looking for a bike that can do it all, with a bias of more road/rough road, some gravel, and very little singletrack. The two bikes I'm considering are the new Santa Cruz Stigmata or Ibis Hakka, both in Sram Rival 1x builds. Unfortunately, I can't pre-ride/demo either as neither are in stock in my size, largest of both at 6'4".

What are the pros/cons between each of these?
the stigmata seems like a great bike, have you seen the pinnarello GRevil+ ?

·
bipedal
722 Posts
No experience with the Stigmata or Hakka, but the Specialized Diverge might meet your requirements. The 2018 and later models come in sizes up to 64cm, accept 700C tires to 42mm wide and 650b tires to 45mm, and have a 20mm travel "Future Shock" built in the head tube. Carbon or alloy frames are available in a wide $ range of build kits.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No experience with the Stigmata or Hakka, but the Specialized Diverge might meet your requirements. The 2018 and later models come in sizes up to 64cm, accept 700C tires to 42mm wide and 650b tires to 45mm, and have a 20mm travel "Future Shock" built in the head tube. Carbon or alloy frames are available in a wide $ range of build kits.
for some reason I always thought of specialized as the little brother in the bike industry, 2018+ lately their engineering has innovated , im slowly finding myself in their website more often

·
Crop Dusting Magistrate
610 Posts
After doing a massive spreadsheet full of data points (I'm a nerd) on most of the bikes in the gravel category, I ended up with a charcoal HakkaMX size 58. It's such an amazing handling bike, super light and can take a beating.

I've now done long road rides, tons of fire roads, even some chunky singletracks in SoCal. I've just sold my Kona Satori 29, since I ended up riding the HakkaMX so much more now. It really checked all the boxes on my list.
hakkamx.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agree... no experience with the Stiggy but I picked up a black Hakka Rival build a few months ago and, honestly, I now ride it more than all my other bikes combined... Highly recommended...

·
Pedalar sempre
2 Posts
What's your height? I am considering buying a Hakka 58, my height is 181cm

[QUOTE = Howeler; 14205347] Depois de fazer uma planilha massiva cheia de pontos de dados (eu sou um nerd) na maioria das motos da categoria cascalho, acabei com uma HakkaMX tamanho 58 do carvão vegetal. É uma bicicleta de manobra incrível, super leve e pode levar uma surra.

Eu já fiz longas viagens rodoviárias, toneladas de estradas de incêndio e até algumas pistas soltas em pedaços no SoCal. Acabei de vender minha Kona Satori 29, desde que acabei montando muito mais no HakkaMX agora. Realmente checou todas as caixas da minha lista.
[/CITAR]

·
Registered
48 Posts
After doing a massive spreadsheet full of data points (I'm a nerd) on most of the bikes in the gravel category, I ended up with a charcoal HakkaMX size 58. It's such an amazing handling bike, super light and can take a beating.

I've now done long road rides, tons of fire roads, even some chunky singletracks in SoCal. I've just sold my Kona Satori 29, since I ended up riding the HakkaMX so much more now. It really checked all the boxes on my list.
View attachment 1265469
I'm looking at the Hakka and Stigmata. Got on a Hakka size 55 and loved it. No Stigmata's anywhere near me to try out :(. I already have a SC 5010 for trail riding and single track, so this bike is for some road riding to connect between double track fire roads and aqueduct trails near me and for a ~100 mile charity road ride each summer. Did you test ride each bike? Wondering what you can share. Would love to see your spreadsheet if you still have it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm looking at the Hakka and Stigmata. Got on a Hakka size 55 and loved it. No Stigmata's anywhere near me to try out :(. I already have a SC 5010 for trail riding and single track, so this bike is for some road riding to connect between double track fire roads and aqueduct trails near me and for a ~100 mile charity road ride each summer. Did you test ride each bike? Wondering what you can share. Would love to see your spreadsheet if you still have it!

Thanks!
I am curious about the road-bike ability of the Hakka. I do like the low weight compared to most gravel bikes. When you do the road rides, are you planning to swap to a road wheelset? Calculators say that with stock gearing, at 90 rpm will be about 25 or so. Put a 42t chainring on and that should be good 27 ... a moderate group ride.
Lastly, sizing. You tested a 55. What are your measurements? I'm 5'8" w/ a 30" inseam. The geometry of the 53 is pretty close to my 53cm road bike. ETT and stack within 2mm and the Hakka has a 16mm shorter reach. I'm thinking this is probably pretty good as I think I would want a more relaxed position on gravel/trail, but maybe a stem change for a "road fit". The 55 is 8mm longer ETT, 7mm shorter reach and 19mm taller stack, which I'm trying to wrap my head around.
This is my first proper gravel bike, so I'm probably overthinking it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts