Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're headed that way tomorrow from the East, and my wife would like to ride there on her road bike. I was working on a route that was reasonably direct, but still safe; anyone know if all the sideroads and concessions near there are paved? Specifically, I'm wondering about near New Scotland, Linton, Coventry, Hammertown (cool name) and Castledurg.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I know Old Church road is paved, and i can actually verify that by looking at the sattelite images provided by google maps or google earth. you can check the rest of the route, provided the resolution is good for the other roads as well. :thumbsup:

If there are lines painted, it is all good. I'd be surprised if any of the roads on that route were not paved.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Where are you coming from? I ride those roads regularly on my road bike. Old Church is quite busy. East/West road that is good is castlederg. If you are further north and coming from the west Patterson side road is quiet for traffic. North and south... the only ones to avoid are Highway 50...

Mount Pleasant has a good climb just north of Old Church. good to do hill repeats on.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
if it's not too late this is the route i take in and out.

a solid - sport route after klienburg.
btw klienburg and palgrave have great bakery/coffee shoppes...fuel
View Larger Map

Here's the text in case its garbled:
1. Head northwest on University Ave toward Adelaide St W
1.3 km
2. Continue on Queen's Park
0.1 km
3. Continue on Queen's Park Crescent E
0.7 km
4. Slight left at Queen's Park
0.3 km
5. Continue on Ave Rd
2.1 km
6. Turn left at St Clair Ave W
5.2 km
7. Turn right at Old Weston Rd
1.0 km
8. Slight left at Rogers Rd
0.7 km
9. Turn right at Weston Rd
11.2 km
10. Turn left at Fenmar Dr
2.0 km
11. Turn left at Steeles Ave W
0.8 km
12. Turn right at Islington Ave
10.8 km
13. Turn left at Nashville Rd
3.0 km
14. Turn right at Huntington Rd
2.2 km
15. Turn left at Kirby Rd
2.0 km
16. Turn right at Cold Creek Rd
2.1 km
17. Continue on King-Vaughan Rd
0.9 km
18. Turn right at Albion-Vaughan Rd
2.0 km
19. Continue on Caledon King Town Line S
6.0 km
20. Turn left at Castlederg SDRD
1.4 km
21. Turn right at Mt Pleasant Rd
3.1 km
22. Turn left at Old Church Rd
1.4 km
23. Turn right at Mt Hope Rd
3.7 km
24. Turn left at Pine Ave
1.1 km
25. Slight right at Birch Ave
0.3 km
26. Turn left at HWY-50/RR-50

·
Some guy
347 Posts
I know that they have done alot of work on King-Vaughan Rd. just east of Hwy 27 but I don't know if that gravel section has been completed yet or not. There's a good chance it has but I can't say for sure.

An alternate is Kirby which is nicely paved (and not very busy) all the way from Dufferin to Hwy 27. From there you can go up 27 briefly and take the L shaped section where King-Vaughan meets 10th Conc. - this section is paved although a bit bumpy. From there it's only a short, mostly downhill ride down King to Caledon-King, and from there on your route is good. Mount Pleasant Rd. lives up to it's name (it is both hilly and pleasant :) ).

·
Looking for Adventure
1,060 Posts
Here's a route courtesy of Brampton Cycling Club
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Mayfield-CC-to-Tottenham

Looks like 11th concession is good to use.

If you can work it in, Centreville Creek Road going north of Castlederg to Patterson Sideroad is absolutely wonderful.....something like single-track road riding. Patterson is also quite nice going to Palgrave.

(note that I meant Patterson, not Finnerty Sideroad)

·
Looking for Adventure
1,060 Posts
nogearshere said:
btw klienburg and palgrave have great bakery/coffee shoppes...fuel
Nogears, I know you are ignoring me now, but what is the name and address of the bakery/coffee shop in palgrave? We are looking for something worthwhile around that area on long rides.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you can make it across Hwy 50.. I would go up Clarkway drive (which turns into Humber Station rd) It has some real nice scenery and is frequented by road riders.. It has few decent hills and a nice flow to it..

Once you get to Old Church road you take it back to 50 and head into Albion..

or

you could go north to Patterson side road and come back to Albion via Hwy 50.. the only thing is.. 50 can get a bit busy.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ricksom said:
Here's a route courtesy of Brampton Cycling Club
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Mayfield-CC-to-Tottenham

Looks like 11th concession is good to use.

If you can work it in, Centreville Creek Road going north of Castlederg to Patterson Sideroad is absolutely wonderful.....something like single-track road riding. Patterson is also quite nice going to Palgrave.

(note that I meant Patterson, not Finnerty Sideroad)
Thanks for all the responses. I'll let you know Monday or Tuesday if King-Vaughan is paved where the hill is (just East of 27).

I see Castlederg and Patterson, but nothing called Centreville Creek Road.

I'll look into whether I can include either Kirby and/or Mount Pleasant. Of cousre, I have to get there not too much after my family (although I do have to ride, becuase I can't properly pack a van and we need to fill the passenger seat), and save a little energy for camping/mountain biking...

Whatever I do find as far as a good route, my wife gets to do Monday on the way back!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.