Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here in SD i've been buzzed a few more times than i'd like to say. I live 3 miles from work so why drive right, well after being buzzed on my way to work this morning i may have to re-think that. I called and spoke to some desk worker at the station in my neighborhood where my problems occur ( right around the corner from the station ) and he says basically since i don't pay a gas tax car drivers don't care about me and there's nothing i can do. Oh, and if any accident occurs it's my fault.

The immediate roadway next to me is a 4 lane with a suicide turn lane in the middle thru residential with a top speed of 35...no bike lane. I don't ride much slower than traffic, not that it matters with little traffic flow and always having the other lane wide open. i always have bright clothing and lights so i know they see me.

My question is do a lot of you have this same problem and is there anything we can do? I do plan to stop by the precinct and hope to have a talk with mr. gas tax guy to give him my weekly dollar to pay for road repairs that never happen.

·
Semper Fi
204 Posts
Although you technically have every right to use the roadway just as much as a car does, I think it's foolish to expect a 4,000 pound vehicle to yield to you. People generally don't care about you on your bike and consider you a nuisance on the roadway.

A compounding issue to this problem is that when there is no bike lane you get forced in to the vehicle lanes and it pisses people off.

The bottom line is that bike riders take their lives in their own hands when riding on a street. You as the rider have to accept that all 200 pounds of you are playing roulette with 4 wheels and an engine by choosing to ride on roadways w/o an acceptable shoulder. That's just a reality of the street. If you ride the white line or in the lane and get creamed you lost the game.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Although it is not always possible, find alternate routes that give you a better margin of safety. If you can't find one, its probably time to find alternate forms of transportation when you need to traverse the unsafe route.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I live in LA and try to avoid riding my bike (road or mountain on road) during rush hour (so from 8am-10am and 2pm-5pm). Based on the traffic, it seems like no one works; everyone just sits in their cars. I've noticed that there are a lot of distracted drivers in their cars. Adding the frustration of rush hour and the the need to get home in a hurry really makes for some dangerous riding here. Like others have said, your best bet is to try and find alternate routes. Might mean having to go out of your way, but at least you get a better workout.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's really unfortunate you know, how careless people are in a 5000 lb steel death trap. It's also kinda funny now that i think of it...i'm more afraid to ride alone in remote areas in fear of a mountain lion than i am risking my life riding the mean streats of SD...haha wtf?!?

Anyways, my street isn't busy which is he kick of it all. Everytime someone has came close to me lane 2 was wide open and we were the only things on the road cept the parked cars on the shoulder and the occasional car trailing said buzz saw. Bananas i tell you...

What i've noticed also is days that are overcast are the days people don't pay attention, and beautiful clear days people give me all the room in the world. Guess what today was.

·
master blaster
1,149 Posts
there are a few streets on my commute home that are 2 lanes with paking on both sides and ive been almost hit a few times becuase of it. ive also barely avoided getting 'doored' on the same section.

i get scared alot in alot of places but after riding the same route for 3 years straight ive pretty much found ways to avoid certian sketchy stop lights and bad roads.

id suggest looking for a different route if possible?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I do most of my road riding at 4:30am in the Palos Verdes area.....not really because I want to but because of my work/family schedule. I do find that it is the safest time of the day to ride because there are very few cars on the road and you can hear/see them comming from a far distance. They can also see me because of my lights & reflectors. The only dangers are paper delivery people and racoons/skunks crossing the road in front of me.

I am also like the poster above, that I am more afraid of MTB riding in remote location and being attacked by a mountian lion than getting hit by cars (pretty stupid)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts