4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this from the ROMP list:

FYI
>
> $1,000 Reward Offered
> For information leading to the arrest and conviction of the driver
> of the pickup truck involved in the following flagrant action of
> violence against a local bay area cyclist.
> A Monte Vista Velo (MVV) club cyclist was injured after being run
> off of the road by a large Dodge Ram pickup truck while descending
> on Page Mill Rd. The incident happened on Saturday, March 25th
> around 11:00am and the driver of the truck tried to run many other
> club members off the road as they road single file down the hill.
> The altercation was a deliberate act by the driver of the truck to
> send a message to all bay area cyclists that they do not belong on
> the public roads.
> Description of the Truck
> 1. Late model full sized black Dodge Ram Pickup with black
> bumpers
>
> 2. Extended cab with dark tinted windows
>
> 3. "Let's Rodeo" bumper sticker on left rear bumper. 12"x4"
> black letters on white background.
>
> 4. Dark tool box behind the driver's window.
>
> 5. License #6L6????
>
> If you spot the truck matching this description, please get a full
> license plate # and report it to the Palo Alto Police Department at
> the number below.
> The Injured Rider
> The MVV rider suffered a class 1 AC separation of the left shoulder
> and two broken teeth. He is recovering quickly and has returned to
> riding with the club.
>
> The injured rider is married and father of 4. He is an accomplished
> cyclist with over 25 years of competitive riding experience. He is
> also a successful businessman holding Vice President of Engineering
> positions at Sun, Kazeon and Oracle Corporation.
>
> "The bay area is one of the most cycling friendly places I have ever
> lived in. I've never see anything that compares to this level of
> aggression and willingness to inflict harm. My hope is that we can
> find the person that did this before they hurt or kill someone else."
> Contact Information
> Kim Collet
> Palo Alto Police Department
> 650-329-2406
> Case #: 06-084-0054

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
We'll definitely keep an eye out...

I'd be looking around the horse stables areas. With all the heat coming off the proposed Woodside Trail project, this is sad, but not surprising. Anyon with a "Rodeo" sticker and a truck is usually around equestrians. It's not that hard to look around and find the looser(ooops, I mean culprit). I hope that I'm off base here, but not likely.

Hope the rider's doing well.

p.s. What if the clod "Resists Arrest"? Not that I'd want a confrontation, but some clod's don't take too kindly to their plates being photographed or written down.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not being insensitive or OT here, but has anyone considered the possibility that the monthly Critical Mass rides in San Francisco may eventually lead to such incidents?

I know many drivers are very, very angry with the Critical Mass riders and their shennigans, and they get angrier as the months go by. It is not uncommon to hear them rant, "Wait till I catch one of them on a lonely road..." It is times like these that I'm glad I don't have a road bike.

It is because of Critical Mass that I am nervous riding from San Francisco CalTrain to Marin Headlands. Now I drive there and park instead. Kinda counter productive, eh?

Pissing off people in 3000 to 10,000 lb chunks of moving steel is a bad idea, IMHO.

Anyway, hope they catch the guy and charge him with attempted vehicular homicide.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Also translated to "******* Inside" with a gun rack. Probably a local to the area and hopefully located and prosecuted. About 10 years ago, or more, I was riding on a charity Multiple Sclerosis ride in Monterey County, and twice the same truck buzzed us extremely close. Not real fun.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,631 Posts
Sk1nnyGuy said:
Not being insensitive or OT here, but has anyone considered the possibility that the monthly Critical Mass rides in San Francisco may eventually lead to such incidents?

I know many drivers are very, very angry with the Critical Mass riders and their shennigans, and they get angrier as the months go by. It is not uncommon to hear them rant, "Wait till I catch one of them on a lonely road..." It is times like these that I'm glad I don't have a road bike.

It is because of Critical Mass that I am nervous riding from San Francisco CalTrain to Marin Headlands. Now I drive there and park instead. Kinda counter productive, eh?

Pissing off people in 3000 to 10,000 lb chunks of moving steel is a bad idea, IMHO.

Anyway, hope they catch the guy and charge him with attempted vehicular homicide.
As true as that might be, it takes a real a..hole to take the leap from being pissed off to actually trying to maim and kill some random guy. I used to ride a motorcycle, and once some old jackass in a pickup truck literrally tried to run me over because I was overtaking him on the right. How can one have that much disregard for another human life, I just can't fathom it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Most rodeo people are good folks

I grew up around the sport. There are some twits, similar to the attitude of the guy a saw at Boggs telling his kid that if the pros wanted to wear road helmets they should be racing their road bikes. Point is, as Cyclists, we're not immune to idiotic behavior. nuff aobut that

If you want to find this idiot, the annual Grand National rodeo is a the Cow Palace this weekend.

http://www.grandnationalrodeo.com/daybyday.html

Rodeo events are at night starting at 8, and a quick cruise of the parking lot will likely turn this idoits truck up. He's not going to be found cruising some fluffy equestrian event in woodside with that sticker.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Clod's a fool...

Description of the Truck
> 1. Late model full sized black Dodge Ram Pickup with black
> bumpers
>
> 2. Extended cab with dark tinted windows
>
> 3. "Let's Rodeo" bumper sticker on left rear bumper. 12"x4"
> black letters on white background.
>
> 4. Dark tool box behind the driver's window.
>
> 5. License #6L6????

Let's see, I can pretty much gaurantee that's more than enough for the police to go off of.

Called the department today, the investigation is still active, keep your eyes peeled.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Run a story in the SJ Mercury News...

I bet there are people out there who know who he is and don't like him and would be happy to turn him in.

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
tjp said:
I grew up around the sport. There are some twits, similar to the attitude of the guy a saw at Boggs telling his kid that if the pros wanted to wear road helmets they should be racing their road bikes. Point is, as Cyclists, we're not immune to idiotic behavior. nuff aobut that

If you want to find this idiot, the annual Grand National rodeo is a the Cow Palace this weekend.

http://www.grandnationalrodeo.com/daybyday.html

Rodeo events are at night starting at 8, and a quick cruise of the parking lot will likely turn this idoits truck up. He's not going to be found cruising some fluffy equestrian event in woodside with that sticker.
Yeah... anyone who straps a rope around a bull's belly and yanks it so tight the bull sh!ts itself is o.k. in my book:rolleyes:

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Sk1nnyGuy said:
That's ridiculous. First, I think you're way over-paranoid. Second, go around the wharf. My 8yo has ridden that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You may have a point, FE. I was just pointing out to the counterproductive nature of Critical Mass events and my discomfort at being associated with them just because I ride a bicycle. Some drivers do get very pissed off during these events.

Play chicken with--or angering drivers of--3000 to 10,000 lb vehicles is just plain stupid, IMHO.

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
It got in the Mercury News

From the Merc News today:

Local bicycling enthusiasts are looking for information about the driver who allegedly ran a bicyclist off a Palo Alto road and tried to force other cyclists from the same group off the roadway.

One member of the group reportedly is offering a $1,000 reward.

The bicyclist who was forced off his bike in the March 25 incident reportedly had two broken teeth and a partially dislocated shoulder.

About 11 a.m., he and a group of other bicyclists from the Monta Vista Velo cycling club were descending single file down a hill on Page Mill Road near Moody Road when the motorist allegedly drove by them.

``He buzzed several cyclists,'' said Craig Larsen, president of the Monta Vista Velo club.

Larsen, who was not present during the incident, said the driver ``buzzed each one in succession as he went down the line.''

The vehicle was described as a black Dodge Ram pickup truck with an extended cab and dark tinted windows. A bumper sticker on the left rear bumper read ``Let's Rodeo.''

Parker Proffitt, an avid cyclist who does not belong to Monta Vista group, said he frequents Page Mill Road during his own bike rides.

``I think some people sort of depersonalize cyclists, and they don't understand that any little games that they play could have deadly repercussions,'' Proffitt said. ``Something what may be an act of frustration to them can end up killing'' someone.

Howard Shafer, a board member of the 800-member Western Wheelers Bicycle Club based in Palo Alto, says most drivers in the region are courteous and share the road.

``I think the drivers are very good, but not all of them,'' he said. ``There are some drivers who do have it out for bicyclists.''

·
Living to ride
392 Posts
Oh man that pisses me off. Hope you catch that a**hole!

I was followed and then hit (bumped) by a car of teens that intensionally hit me on my bike and drove off laughing. I wasn't hurt but bent up my bike a little.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Just came back to check if there was any luck finding the guy..

I forgot the model of the truck, then yesterday I saw a white full size chevy truck with a "lets rodeo" sticker. I got the plate# just in case, but its not a match.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
grrrah said:
Just came back to check if there was any luck finding the guy..

I forgot the model of the truck, then yesterday I saw a white full size chevy truck with a "lets rodeo" sticker. I got the plate# just in case, but its not a match.
Maybe the guy in the white pickup can tell you where he got the sticker?
-Shane

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I was the one who tipped off the papers to this

Regardless of if the person gets caught(There's buzz thatr its a girl from other's who've encountered this same truck) the good part is that its out there for all to see.
Any would be kooks thinking about doing something similar might now think twice aftewr they realize they may have get cuaght and have to pay for their actions.

Every paper and tv station has "News Tip" areas on their websites.
I fwd'd the original email to as many as I could and w/in 1/2 hour the author of the story
called me to ask some questions. I think otherwise it would have simply been another email string that died out quickly. Remember that if there's a next time. It only took me about 15 moins of effort and the next day, we had press.
Publicity is the criminal's worst enemy and this criminal now has a platefull of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes! Another person who had a run it w/ this truck9different day) said that it turned into
the stables on Arastradero rd, the driveway just past Arastradero. OSP (right at the turn)
He said it looked like a girl, or if a guy, had long hair. My bet's a girl.
That's 2 different weekend sightings in basically the same area.
I plan on looking in that parking lot each time I ride by. hope other's do the same.
At the very least we can make her life very nervous w/ the anticipation of impending justice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.