Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
newbie 29er
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have experience dealing with them? I was able to sprint from a particularly determined and out of shape black lab today...but he was definitely not looking to be friendly. I'm currently living in an area where the cool thing to do is have a really big dog with no fence or very little fence...

It is my understanding that the dog owner is responsible for keeping their animal fenced in...but its probably not going to happen in this case. Suggestions? Obviously change the route, which is definitely happening, but there will be more dogs...anyone tried mace or similar? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
567 Posts
I happen to live in an area that has packs of wild dogs. I like to think of it as an random interval workout; just sprint, as hard as you can until they stop chasing, hopefully no other dogs join in before the first batch give up. And even though they may look like they have bad intentions they likely just want to come along for the ride, unless they are really hungry, then sprint like a bastard.
I have never tried it but my cop friend says pepper spray works great on dogs.

·
newbie 29er
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rocks'r'friends said:
I happen to live in an area that has packs of wild dogs. I like to think of it as an random interval workout; just sprint, as hard as you can until they stop chasing, hopefully no other dogs join in before the first batch give up. And even though they may look like they have bad intentions they likely just want to come along for the ride, unless they are really hungry, then sprint like a bastard.
I have never tried it but my cop friend says pepper spray works great on dogs.
It couldn't hurt to have it in my pocket, but as a dog-lover...I would feel terrible for using it! Guess I'll just go this way when I need a good, hard, adrenaline-filled sprint!

Thanks for the replies

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I have had excellent results squirting them with a water bottle .

·
Registered
315 Posts
i ride street so i've seen some dogs while riding and if they're small enough you just ride on and they usually leave you alone. Otherwise the only real way is to sprint and until they're tired and drop back. I've even been forced to kick a dog once when i wasn't fast enough just don't get bit like me -.-

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah, don't be the slowest one in your group.

I do a lot of my road riding out in rural areas and you do get the occasional dog chasing you or running with you. I'd say nine out of ten really just love running next to you but even being a dog person it freaks me out. Some look not so friendly but I've never had an issue riding them off my wheel. I do always ride with a frame pump that while I wouldn't want to use it just pulling it and holding it like you will makes them stop in their tracks if you get one that has thoughts of making you a tasty snack.

I'd never let my dog free range like that but I also don't live in BFE.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I got bit by a lab once and he looked like he had "good intentions" too. It is the owner's responsibility to keep the animal contained. In my case, the dog was even on a leash but the woman couldn't hold it back. I was running at the time. She paid for my doctor visit and since then keeps her dog out of my neighborhood.

I now carry “Halt!” pepper mace spray (same strong stuff they give the USPS) when I commute or when I am running. If a dog charges me and doesn't appear to back off if I stand my ground I will certainly dose him. If you ever get bit by a dog, you won't hesitate either.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I now carry "Halt!" pepper mace spray (same strong stuff they give the USPS) when I commute or when I am running. If a dog charges me and doesn't appear to back off if I stand my ground I will certainly dose him. If you ever get bit by a dog, you won't hesitate either.
That. I can tell you from experience that pepper spray works great. And yes, I've been on both ends of the spray. :D

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,966 Posts
aggiem3 said:
but as a dog-lover...I would feel terrible for using it!
Then the dog has won, no more discussion necessary.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Once when I was chased and I spit a mouthful of water at the dog. It was enough of a surprise that it turned away and gave up. If I was in your situation, I'd want something more potent. When I used to ride road, I made a little holster on my bar for pepper spray. The one time I used it I couldn't really aim it, but again, it was enough of a surprise that the dog turned away.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I got chased out of a campsite a large group of us was riding by (how's that for sentence structure?). A dog ran out & bit me on the leg- it happened too fast for me to even react, and yep, I was the last rider,

OTOH, I was chased along a road by a dog about 2 months ago. I heard him snarling & growling and he was catching up. I stopped & put the bike between me & him and screamed my head off at him. He turned tail & ran. :D I was kinda hoping he'd run out into traffic & get hit, but my luck, he'd bounce off the grill and back into me. :skep:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts